Thread: North of Willow 11/5/11

Default North of Willow 11/5/11

It started out as 27F in Anchorage, then 14F in Wasilla and finally -2F north of Willow. Let’s just say we weren't prepared for hiking the river in -2F, but the sun soon rose and warmed us up. And as always when hiking, we wore too many clothes, yes even for -2F.

Spotted a pair of drakes on the edge of the river within the first about 1/2 mile. We got as close as we could before they jumped. It was pretty far but we managed to knock one down.

After 40 more minutes of hiking we found another pair. The path was only wide enough for one person to creep along and get a shot. After I knocked them both down… the fun started.
    The next 20 minutes was spent running on and down the side of the river to get these guys out of the current. You know, breaking through the ice up to your waste actually feels good after running that long in winter gear.
    It worked out quite well, my Carharts froze just above my knee boots and formed a type of knee/thigh pad, and my long underwear and wool socks kept my legs and feet warm.

It was a fun day, but only seeing four birds is pretty slow for the length of the drive. I'm not sure if we will go back north this weekend or if we might try to find some creeks down south.

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    -2F north of Willow...breaking through the ice up to your waist...my Carharts froze just above my knee boots and formed a type of knee/thigh pad.
    Dang man wading through rivers at -2* wearing carharts??? You are hardcore!!!

Attachment 54885
    Back at the truck

wing that attachment won't open. I bet it's a good one too!

Default How about this?

DSC00532.jpg

Man I need more practice at uploading pictures.

End of season like this, a man might find himself a pair of waders on sale. Not sure I'd go jump-shooting without waders or a dog, but I admire your tenacity.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Haha our dog called in sick that day. I always try to think about what I would to next time and... on this trip I didn't come up with a lot. For the amount of walking that we did and the terrain, you would have lost 10lb in sweat if you had chest waders. We were walking through some dense woods and brush so hip boots would be way too uncomfortable. Next time I would just wait a little longer until they flew over land and then wack em.

I was down in Cordova last week, still a lot of mallards and widgeon around. Lots of ice on some water, but anything moving is still nice and clear. Was working down there, so didn't get a chance to go after them.