Thread: Looking for Advice...

Default Looking for Advice...

Hello, I am an aspiring pilot living in CO. I have logged 67 hours in a piper warrior (every lil bit counts right lol), and have run out of funding. I want nothing more than to be a bush pilot in Alaska! I thought I would try to pick anyones brain that is willing...are there any grants, scholarships, etc. available for training? Possibly any companies that would train me and require me to work for free to pay back the cost? Basically any way to get my certifications without taking out huge loans...All I want is to fly, but I feel that I have hit a dead end. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to put in their 2 cents.

Pay as you go while not as quick, will get you were you want to be. Maybe a second job, and use that pay check for your flying. Maybe getting work in the Oil Fields of North Dakota, might pay enough to put a good chunk of cash away for flight training. Right now the flying jobs are very hard to come by, down economy. It will be a few years before the industry recovers. So working and saving might not be a bad thing. Now as for your 67 hours in a Piper Warrior, You have 67 hours in your logbook its way better than Zero, you should be just about ready for a Private Pilot Check Ride. Who says you can just fly and log time when you can over a period of time? Nothing wrong with the warrior, I flown those some myself. Good airplane, back in 1976 I gotten my first job flying one as a charter pilot. I was very young very green. Start will small goals, if you don't have the check ride done, that is the goal, let the rest of the stuff come in steps.

I don't know anything about this website, but it might be worth checking out: http://www.flightschoollist.com/avia...holarships.php

Quote Originally Posted by BH206L3 View Post
    Pay as you go while not as quick, will get you were you want to be. Maybe a second job, and use that pay check for your flying. Maybe getting work in the Oil Fields of North Dakota, might pay enough to put a good chunk of cash away for flight training.
    +1. Work on increasing your wages and not increasing your cost of living and use the rest to build hours and ratings. Flying is crazy expensive, but awesome. I used to fly a Warrior for way cheap when it was part of my college flying club. As for me, I couldn't do everything I wanted, be a father/husband so I gave up flying with few regrets. I could afford a few hours here and there but didn't feel that I was able to stay safe, even though I was legally current. Hope to start up again in a few years.

I have two friends who took jobs in the North Dakota oil fields and are bucks away nicely! They work two/three week on and have a week and a half off when they get back with all that money. That would be a great way to build up funds to pay for hours.

Best of luck and keep living your passions and sticking to your goals, you'll never regret it.

Join the military. They'll train ya.

Thank you all for your input! I am looking into the oil fields in New Mexico as a matter of fact. I also hear that the oil fields in Alaska pay exceptionally well.

Here's a link to some scholarships and grants:

http://www.faa.gov/education/student...rships_grants/

Find a profession that pays big money that is totally unrelated to aviation, use that profession to finance your flying. Thats what I did and its working out ok right now. Just working an extra job and saving might cut the mustard for finishing your private but thats just the tip of the ice berg. Go on to barn stormers or trade a plane and see what your up against money wise when you start itchin to buy a nice cub (or heck even a mid time cub), the maintence, the fuel, tie downs/hangars, etc.

I choose engineering and went to school in your back woods at the colorado school of mines, doctorates in medicince seem to do the trick also. You are going to need to make over 100k a year if you want to do this in any sort of timely manner with any sort of decent plane that does not need alot of expensive maintenece.

Here is the break down:

private pilot cert ~ 55 hrs national average at ~10k
    average mid time DECENT cub ~60-100k (you can get a cheapo one but plan on sinking money into engine overhauls and refabricing in a short amount of time to the sum of 20-30 grand)
    insurnace (if you choose to carry it) - ~3500$ but you have to have at least 250 hrs with a significant amount of hours in that air frame.
    Fuel - almost 6$ a gallon and most cubs burn anywhere from 6-14 gal/hr depending on how much HP it has
    Tie downs are around 70-100$/month and a hangar will run you 400-800$/month depending on where you keep it, with a cub you could buy a piece of land on a dirt strip and build a hangar, expensive upfront but then your not subject to price changes from the hangar owner.

Then you have all the misc expenses like head sets, or if you want skis for the cub or floats that can run up the costs.

This is not meant to discourage but to let you know that getting a second job at joes subs is not going to cut it, you need to get a job where you are pulling down BIG money if you are going to do this right. Focus on getting a career that will allow you to fly and not slave away at joes subs for 20 years like kid that is buffaloed into fueling planes as if that is going to help him own a plane and get his licence.

I appreciate the information, way more than I anticipated. I believe you may have misunderstood me tho...I want to fly for a living, not invest more time and money in a career just for the outcome. Thanks again for the info...good to know what to expect cost wise.

Oh, I'm sure we all understood.
    New pilots can be hired to sit right seat with as low as 750 hrs. Mind you, with nothing less than a commercial rating. For the majority your looking at 1500. Come July 2012, if the FEDs dont come up with a ruling, they are going to mandate that ANY new pilot for 121 have 1500. Thats going to hurt guys like us just starting out. you can probably see the issue with low time guys, on low income, trying to get there. AND, due to defense cuts, and the pull out of the current wars, the military will be downsizing, releasing very high time/ very highly experienced pilots into the pool.

Non the less, dont fret. This is the same advise I have gotten. Get a nice paying job, buy an economical plane, and fly the wings off that thing. A nice citabria, chief, champ or T-craft.

Box, I have a couple questions.

Are you young?

No family dependency? (single)

If so, do this all in AK. A six year commitment with the AK National Guard, and they will be more than happy to train you to fly blackhawks. you could walk out six years from now, with around 800-1000 hrs, twin turbine commercial helo rated. While you do that that, buy that plane and do as stated above. You will have that all so valuable Alaska flight time. Oh, and you can start this all without a college degree. I know a few guys that stepped out of this, and got nicely paying jobs flying on the north slope.

You want that Flying Job??? Aviation will cost you time AND money to get STARTED. The more of one, will cost less of the other.

Do the research, Then act on it. No one is going to give you anything. You have to take what you want.
    Last edited by Adison; 11-19-2011 at 17:34. Reason: Un-appropriate language

You could get a student loan, go get your A&P license,(1 or 2 year program).... You could work on the side, while going through the two year course.....don't try to work on the side, while going through the one year...too intense....the A&P license will get you a decent paying job in Alaska.....You can use that income to buy an inexpensive airplane and build the time you need to get your commercial license....There are many bush operators looking for good A&P's....