Thread: 20 mile moose pressure

Default 20 mile moose pressure

How much hunting pressure for moose is put on the 20 mile river?

Mark

It's a drawing hunt only. I think ADFG issues about 20 permits per year.

I went with a friend who got a permit a couple of years ago. We saw no moose and no sign on Twentymile, but on Placer River there was sign everywhere, and we harvested a beautiful bull there.

There's also a huge brown bear in the Placer drainage, he's chased all the blackies out of the place, the season closes by emergency order every year, and he's in there getting bigger by the year. We saw him walking down the railroad tracks, and could figure his size by knowing standard railroad gauge (56.5 inches). He had our gutpile buried almost overnight.

Default permit is only for "ANY BULL"

You can still hunt that area with a regular harvest tag but with restictions on brow tines ect.
    I checked to make sure with F&G last year, because I was in the same boat, 1 of my budies got drawn for that area and needed someone to go with him.
    The more I read the reg's on that area the more I understood that the permit was a speacial hunt only (like a cow permit) and called F&G to make sure I was reading it correctly and they told me that I wasn't the first person to ask and that it was kind of missleading the way it's wrote in the reg's; read them again carefully and you'll see what I mean.

Default pressure!

Moderate pressure from what I've seen with lots of lookers from planes and boats.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    You can still hunt that area with a regular harvest tag but with restictions on brow tines ect.
    I checked to make sure with F&G last year, because I was in the same boat, 1 of my budies got drawn for that area and needed someone to go with him.
    The more I read the reg's on that area the more I understood that the permit was a speacial hunt only (like a cow permit) and called F&G to make sure I was reading it correctly and they told me that I wasn't the first person to ask and that it was kind of missleading the way it's wrote in the reg's; read them again carefully and you'll see what I mean.
    By golly, you're right!

When you went, did you score?

Default No Moose

No kills...more of an scouting thing, didn't see a single moose. I just wanted to understand what I could and couldn't do in that area since it was my first time in there. Got hung-up on some gavel bars though

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    No kills...more of an scouting thing, didn't see a single moose. I just wanted to understand what I could and couldn't do in that area since it was my first time in there. Got hung-up on some gavel bars though
    Did you go up Twentymile, or Placer?

Default both

mostly the Glacier way it was pertty rough though.
    Last edited by Bear Buster; 03-25-2007 at 21:15. Reason: added info