Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have hound dogs in alaska?

Default anyone have hound dogs in alaska?

i was wondering if they do cause it seems i'm the only one with one. i have a pure purebred bluetick and for some reason everyone i meet thinks she's a beagle? and if you guess do what kinda?

Quote Originally Posted by stank View Post
    i was wondering if they do cause it seems i'm the only one with one. i have a pure purebred bluetick and for some reason everyone i meet thinks she's a beagle? and if you guess do what kinda?

I used to have blue tic's and walkers but did not replace them when the got old. My neighbor has a redbone. there are a few houndmen left up here but not many, Still a few walkers, blue tic's and black & Tans being used, but permitting is a problem and the hounds can't tell the differance between blacks and Grizzly. Sorry I was not more help - Mist

We've had beagles for years and hunt them on hares from sept on. We had a bluetick for a couple of years and she was a great bear dog but her uterous prolapsed and had to be put down.Our Bluetick Bella,,Lemon Beagle Captain,Cookie & CoCo about to hatch 14 puppies!

I'm not from Alaska, although i have been over to your great country the last 3 years hunting moose (unsuccessful) and Caribou, i come from downunder where we hunt Beagles on Sambar deer, truely gutsy little hounds and stick like **** to a blanket, i will post a couple of pics of them, i often wondered if there were any hounds in Alaska, now i know of at least one person...

You mean like these?

rabbit 012.jpgDSCN0509.jpgFrom bunnies to black bears! She is small, fast and fierce! She has not treed a bear or bayed one up yet. But she loves to go and has ran bears out of our sight in terrain better suited for 4 legs. She has not actively helped us get a bear, but she has faught wounded bears and blood trailed. Awesome breed and beleive the best there is! All around an awesome pet too, quiet in the house. Well behaved. Free feeds on dog food. She is a German Jag'd Terrier. She fears nothing. This fall she was along on her 12th bear kill. She is getting a dog bed outa that one, sniffed it out for us in tall brush. Nice plush fur with no under fur, perfect for a bed.

Quote Originally Posted by chadf View Post
    You mean like these?

Nice Chadf == Brings back memories.
    Mist

That's a fine looking pair of hounds there!!

Meet Rosco P. Coltrane....

I had a walker hound for 12 years, picked her up at the pound with the old man when I was a kid. Dam thing was a wild beast that loved trash from the get go. On separate occasions that animal chewed through a dog kennel and a wire fence just to get at the trash.

That dog wouldn't hunt. She would spot a gun and cower in fear but man could she track a scent trail. Somehow we got split up miles from home one day. I couldn't find her so I walked home thinking she may be there already. Didn't see her at home so I headed back to the river, not a block from the house did I see her trotting back home.

The dog, when prompted, was vicious. You were either the ruler or you were ruled. One occasion comes to mind, two full sized dobermans came running into camp barking and growling with the owner a couple hundred yards away in their camp not giving a dam. From my heel she took on both dogs, lit them up like the 4th of July, and returned to my side.

When we picked her up from the pound she was already set in her ways. I always thought she would have made for a better wolf dog pack leader than a family dog.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by kxj66ni View Post
    Now thatg is 1 FINE DOGG!!!
    kxj66
    Thanks for the compliment, Rosco appreciates the flattery!! He would make a great stud, if anyone with a female is interested, let me know.

Roscoe.jpg
    My bloodhound Roscoe P. Sizebrain. When he's sucking in air tracking a scent he sounds like an old Evinrude idling.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

How many of you guys get permits to use your dogs, even for tracking? I was one of five in a unit and now in a different unit I believe I am still the only one. Anyone can get one, with a hunting license, and if nothing else, dog is legal to be off leash in leash areas. Can't track big game without being on a leash anywhere in state. I always have gotten one ever since I got my dog. Like stated earlier, she loves those bears, more so than bunnies I think!

My boy is still a pup, we just started working on scent tracking so haven't even looked into getting a permit. Whats involved in the permit process?
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    My boy is still a pup, we just started working on scent tracking so haven't even looked into getting a permit. Whats involved in the permit process?
    No much involved. Get in touch with fish and game for your unit. It can be tough, was at first. Just cause they work at fish and game doesn't mean they know the regs! Plus kinda ass backwards a bit. Like for PWS, cordova office is in charge, they can fax tho to anchorage and sign the permit there.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    How many of you guys get permits to use your dogs, even for tracking? I was one of five in a unit and now in a different unit I believe I am still the only one. Anyone can get one, with a hunting license, and if nothing else, dog is legal to be off leash in leash areas. Can't track big game without being on a leash anywhere in state. I always have gotten one ever since I got my dog. Like stated earlier, she loves those bears, more so than bunnies I think!
    I've gotten the permit for units 16,14a&b for the last 2 years but my job keeps me TDY so much I just don't seem to have the time to get out. Plus I don't have an ATV or Boat so I'm limited on where I can go. I'll get the permits again next year I plan on taking some leave in the spring just to finally put one up a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Thanks for the compliment, Rosco appreciates the flattery!! He would make a great stud, if anyone with a female is interested, let me know.
    I have a female beagle. Unfortunately, we got her spayed. I tried to convince my wife not to get her spayed but she didn't like cleaning up the mess she left when she went into heat. If your stud helps produce a litter, please let me know. I would be interested in a pup. You got a fine looking dog there. The only question is, does he hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I have a female beagle. Unfortunately, we got her spayed. I tried to convince my wife not to get her spayed but she didn't like cleaning up the mess she left when she went into heat. If your stud helps produce a litter, please let me know. I would be interested in a pup. You got a fine looking dog there. The only question is, does he hunt?
    Yep, he's a hunter. Has done quite well a few times on rabbits, but I haven't got him out there as much as I should, gonna have to change that this winter. I am still working on finding a female. When he was young, I didn't get him neuterued because I had plans to breed him, but the that deal never materialized, the female's owner decided against a litter. I'd still like to breed him though, he is an amazing beagle that gets compliments everywhere he goes. I'll let you know if I ever find a suitable female.

My beagle Baxter loves rabbit hunting, but man does he love fishing too. We cant get him off the boat if were in it. And whenever we do land a fish, he is going after it. Its cute as hell but can be super annoying.

Also, he has taking a liking to moose. Whenever I am walking him around the neighborhood or out camping he will take off and start beying at the moose from like 10 yds away. I am currently trying to break him of that.

I will say, he is an awesome outdoors dog, and there is no place he'd rather be than out camping, fishing, hunting with us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast