Thread: Prepping Brass Is Fun, But Time Consuming

Default Prepping Brass Is Fun, But Time Consuming

Bought 1000 new Winchester cases in .223. So now the journey begins.

Right now full-length sizing while visually inspecting each case. So far only one dud. That case won't fit into the caseholder, even though it looks good. I'll have to measure it to see the difference. I like Winchester brass.

After this I'll de-burr the flash holes and trim to length. I am not going to turn the necks on these as they'll be used in a run-of-the-mill AR. After all this I'll clean the cases and weigh sort them, once that is done, then the load work begins.

I will be working with Bart's 52 grain .224 bullets this time. I might load some of the tracer bullets I have just to see how pretty they are. I think they'll work better in the .223 WSSM though.

Good thing I work week-on, week-off, and the wife is out of town on business.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Maybe, you can stay outta trouble while your wife is gone

Case prep can be fun, but 1000 cases at a time, tends to take some of the fun out of it.

I'm sure I don't handload to the extent that you do, but I never had a batch of new Winchester brass that didn't have one or two, that were totally unusable. IME, Win. brass is over-rated. I prefer Rem. brass.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Well sir we shall have to agree to disagree.

I have run through 500 cases now and have found four that look perfect, but will not fit into the shellholder. I have a blade micrometer and will have to measure them. One case has what appears to be a fold in the body. One first glance it looked like a dent, but I can see a faint line using my 10x loupe. I think the brass may have become folded.

If I had the money I would try some Lapua as I have heard everyone say they are simply the best brass period. They had better be for the price which is .62 cents a case versus the .19 cents I paid for these new Winnie. If I were competing then I'd spend the extra coin but...not now.

Yah 1k is alot, but it does keep me busy and out of mischief.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Case prepping is a big drag for sure. The one step I dislike the most is uniforming the flash hole. Probably isn't even all that necessary but you know what they say about old habits. I run Lapua for one rifle and that brass has been the best to work with I've ever had. It can be a little pricey but I figured I would splurge on the one caliber. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you!

I don't buy much new brass so I don't get a chance to inspect much new brass. The last bag I bought was 4 or 5 years ago in Win 300H&H. 2 of them had split necks. I was a little disappointed as 300 H&H was a little hard to find even then. I don't usually do a full case prep until after they have been fired in the chamber they will be loaded for as the case length will change and some will change more than others. I also trim to length before deburring the flash hole as case length controls how much deburring happens with my tool. I also don't do a full case prep unless I think the rifle has to potential to group well under 1 moa. I will say the little Norma brass I have used has been very good brass but I have had pretty good luck with all the normal brands.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I know that Win brass has the reputation among some accuracy buffs, of being better brass, than Remington, but I wonder how much of it is based on what they've been told, rather than their own personal experience.

A friend of mine told me it was better, and because everyone he knew and competed with, said so.

He later, told me, he asked his "High Dollar" gunsmith which was best, and was told "Winchester". He then said, "I AGREE."

I'm pretty sure, he never even tried Remington Brass. (You see, it's not as good as Remington, so why bother.)

Granted, when I've purchased brass, it is bulk brass in lots of only 100, both Winchester, and Remington, and probably not as much, or for as many different cartridges, as some folks, BUT, I've had better luck with the Remington stuff.

With Winchester, I get one or two in the batch that has a wrinkled neck and shoulder, a split neck, or a dent/damage that doesn't go away with fireforming. So far my Rems. have been OK.

Others may have different experiences, and/or they've had more consistent accuracy with Winchester, so I'm not saying they've gotta be wrong. I just find what often passes for common knowledge to be dubious, at times.

J M inexpert O,

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.