Thread: Sauna/Outhouse

Default Sauna/Outhouse

i want to build an 8x12 sauna outhouse with a wall separating the two of course and i am thinking of making the outhouse about 4x8 and the rest will be the sauna. i am wondering what everyone does for the sauna, do you insulate it or not and should i put a drain in the floor? im hoping the heat from the sauna will keep the outhouse side warm if i insulate only the exterior 3 walls of the outhouse side. any ideas?

I am thinking I don't want to sit in 180 degree steam next to my &%#*.... I have both, but they are seperated by more than a wall... more like 150 feet!

I am currious as to others experiences..

Tom

It will only keep it heated as long as you have the sauna heated. If you are looking for heat from the sauna you will want to insulate the three walls of the outhouse. I have a propane light in my outhouse that I leave on while at the cabin . It sure make a big difference.

Not sure I'd go for a outhouse / sauna combo... just can't get past the thought of the possible smells.

Now we do have a 8x12 sauna / shower combo at our cabin. The sauna is 8x8, the shower room is 4x8. We insulated the floor, walls and roof. No floor drain. Our wood stove has a big pan for the rocks on top and we keep the water to the pan & rocks so the floor doesn't get all that wet. The wall between the shower and sauna is 2x4 with plywood on boths sides, a wood door and no insulation. The shower room stays a good temperature. For the shower we bought a 4' wide shower pan and drain it to a bucket under the building. We are currently using one of those black back showers. There is also a 4x8 covered porch on the building. That's a nice place to go sit when its time to cool off for a minute.

The sauna also doubles as a great place to dry snowy & wet clothes!

Yea, I don't know if I'd go for that or not. I'd hate to spend all that time and money just to find out my sauna stinks like sh*t!

However if you do go for it, here is a little advice for your outhouse. We sprinkle wood fire ashes down the outhouse hole every so often. It does an amazing job of controlling the smell.

I built an 8x12 w a 4 ft porch. 5 x8 sauna sauna/shower and the rest is dressing room. I put a corner shower pan in the hot side with a drain (dug a pit inderneath) I have a 15 gallon tank above the stove that feeds a 12v RV pump to a shower head. Provides plenty of hot water. Insulated most of it with blue board. Cabinjuly 009.jpg

i am planning on sealing off the outhouse to the ground and putting a 4" vent out also. im not too worried about the smell because the outhouse i currently have is not vented and it doesnt smell bad at all. i will definately insulate the 3 exterior outhouse walls and put vapor barrier up in the outhouse also to keep is sealed. if i have a 2x4 wall with plywood on both sides separating the sauna and outhouse i dont think the outhouse would get too hot

If your outhouse smells bad you didn't build it right however the psychological factor might be too much. I would like to build a
    sauna/greenhouse combo.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

We have an 8 x 12 sauna/bathhouse. Suana side is larger than the bath side. Main heat source is a blue flame propane heater (non-vented). Suana side is vented to the bath side when the door is closed. A PCV pipe brings outside air to the blue flame heater and a second vent exchanges air under the suana bench. This system give a good dry suana with about 30 minutes of preheating. For a wet suana we have a truck rim, heavy steel plate and river rocks mounted on a turkey cooker. Suana side has bat insulation covered with foil insulation. Tongue and grove cedar over firing strips gives an air space between the cedar and foil insulation. The is a top and botton gap to let the air move. The suana side has worked well for 10 years.

Bath side is a cheap corner shower, 12 volt battery and solar panel. 12 Volt pump sits on top of a plastic 55 gal. barrel which is connected to an EZ Tankless propane heater, all connected with pec tubing.

Suana bench is one of those plastic half table/bench leg kits mounted with cedar 2x4's.

A green house is attached as a shed.

Build an outhouse/generator shed combo to warm your sitter.

Good Luck