Thread: 16 A for BOW

Default 16 A for BOW

Next moose season 2012 after I get back from deployment looking to hunt mooose with my Bow going to try 16A does any one have any other spots that are accessable by foot and 4 wheeler, not looking for anyone to give up there honey hole just any I been there and saw some animals type info. I hunted spring bear in the kings River area I realized the amount of poeple zipping around on Quads was not helping me at all, but that was my first AK hunt ever so any advise for a newbie to the AK hunting would be great

Hunting moose in the archery season takes a bit of leg work and scouting. Moose can be found all through units 14 and 16 along the highway and road systems. They are where you find them and the whole Mat-Su valley is full of good moose habitat. Since the archery season is so early Aug10-15 they are not anyone near the rut I've had zero luck calling and the brush is super thick during this time period. Roger, who posted in your other thread, has had good luck because he runs a business where he is on the road early in the morning and keeps him outdoors on the trails throughout the summer. I don't even bother getting serious for this hunt. I wait until later in the season (general season) where I can successfully call and locate bulls near cows.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Doug is right but I would still hunt the early season there are a lot of moose taken by people who know where to look. If you’re serious about getting a moose with a bow that would be a very good time before there pushed into the brush. In the next several months spent the time learning where moose live and how to hunt them. In early July get out in the woods and use what you learned.

You might want to try your luck with some of the draw permits for 14C...now's the time to get your applications done.

Two buddies and I hunted the first week there and it was tough going. Lots of time to scout and learn is what will make the difference if you decide to do it. Getting away from people is HUGE.