Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cliffside Marina info

Default Cliffside Marina info

Does anybody know what other expenses there are to "owning" one of these slips? I imagine there is dues, parking, etc....I see them often for sale, and it just got me wondering what all is involved.

I know they have a website because I frequent it to check the weather conditions on their webcams

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

One of my customers has a slip there and told me he got a bill for 5 grand one year for "repairs".

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

if you send me a pm i can send you more info - i have a slip there. It is lightyears ahead of the city ones

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdad View Post
    i have a slip there. It is lightyears ahead of the city ones
    I would hope so, theyre worth more more than most boats in the city harbor all the money you guys got soaked in them things. Theyre about ready to start the 2nd phase of the shotgun cove road which will provide 700 top notch slips. I'd sell while you still can but thats purely speculation

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdad View Post
    if you send me a pm i can send you more info - i have a slip there. It is lightyears ahead of the city ones
    Why a pm? I'd like to to know what the dues and whatnot are for those slips and I don't think I'm the only one.

I can give some rough numbers. A 40 foot slip sells for around 100-110K, and the condo fees are 2-3K per year, but can vary based on what happens. One example is if the cruise ships pull out and remove their dock, the owners would have to add a lot of additional breakwater on the north side. It is not like anyone has a choice of being in the public harbor. I think there is still something unfair going on there. I have been on the list for years, and last year I went from #64 to #62 on the list. Do the math, and you will find that it will be forever before I get a slip in the public marina.

As for the latest road work in Whittier, I would not hold your breath. I spoke with someone at the city last summer, and although they added some road this summer, she said the surveyors came back saying that they cannot get to where ever they are headed because of some big ravines, so they would have to re-assess the destination as they get additional funding. Does the phrase 'road to nowhere' ring a bell? Sounds like this one really is.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

The road starts at nowhere so how can it go to nowhere?

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I have been on the list for years, and last year I went from #64 to #62 on the list. Do the math, and you will find that it will be forever before I get a slip in the public marina.
    Is there an annual fee to be on the list? My family has had a slip for 30+ years, but I'd like to have one of my own someday when I get my own vessel since I can't inherit the slip rights (to the best of my understanding).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Is there an annual fee to be on the list? My family has had a slip for 30+ years, but I'd like to have one of my own someday when I get my own vessel since I can't inherit the slip rights (to the best of my understanding).
    Oh boy if it isn't mr honest Brian, sheesh! just don't transfer the name at the harbor. Now forget about the wait list, its Whittier for gosh sakes! You're in an enviable position my man!

I'm taking a poll

Don't think I haven't thought of that, fullbush! That being said, I was under the impression that the owner of the vessel must go in to the office in person each year and show the current registration paperwork in their name. My father isn't going to last forever. When that time comes, I'd like to still be able to have a slip there. I figure I need to get my name on the list now so that I'm not flying over to Cordova in 20 years to visit my vessel.

Yes, the wait list fee is $40 per year per list. I get the impression that Seward is tight on their enforcement, but Whittier, not so much. That could change at any time though.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

$40 a year is probably worth it. I suppose I need to stop in at the Harbormaster's office next time I'm down there.

I figure I need to get my name on the list now so that I'm not flying over to Cordova in 20 years to visit my vessel.
    Brian the amenities at the Corodva harbor are vastly superior to Whittier. There are 4 heavy duty cranes powered up 24/7 available for free use. 2 free boat launches, a travel lift capable of putting a 125' crabber on dry dock, much cheaper rates, internet, cable tv, electricity and phone at every slip as well as your own personal night light and potable water spigot, the best marine service and amenities this side of Kodiak including a NAPA on one side of the harbor and a Car Quest on the other plus a grocery store right across the ramp, six 1st class cleaning tables, no thieves that I'm aware of, your boat doesn't get sand blasted from the wind like Whittier, there aren't novice boat drivers flubbing around crashing into your boat and the ferry takes a little less than 3 hours from Whittier. Now then, from Cordova you're 35 min to Hinchenbrook entrance, and 25 minutes to open ocean. To me its a no brainer. Tell ya what, I'll trade my slip in Cordova for yours in Whittier just because I think you deserve the best.

I'm taking a poll

Yeah, Cordova is a far nicer harbor, no doubt, but the main point of me owning a vessel is to use it with my family, even if it will be paid for through commercial fishing. Having a boat that takes a plane ride or ferry ride to get to would limit how much I use it, thus it wouldn't accomplish the whole point of my plan.

Hopefully by the time I get my own boat the facilities in Whittier will be expanded and improved. It's a ways down the line, most likely, so we'll see...

$40 a year is probably worth it. I suppose I need to stop in at the Harbormaster's office next time I'm down there.
    You are a young guy, right? If you are in your late 20's or early 30's and plan on boating into retirement, you may get something out of it. Make sure you don't miss the year end payment deadline each year though, or they put you back at the bottom of the list!
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Reasonably young - 33 years. What size slip are you on the list for? I'll be looking for something capable of holding a vessel in the 40' range. Any idea on how the waiting lists differ based on vessel length?

Another worthless money grab from a do nothing outfit!! Whats next a waiting list for a parking spot? To use the launching ramp? Where does all those $40 go? You'd think they could fix all the holes in the docks, maybe some cleats that aren't ready to pull out, water spigots that actually work, no bolt heads sticking out of the docks so they don't gouge up the side of your boat, a decent oil dump and the list goes on. I've only been fishing out of there for a short 20 years and its only gone downhill, they just don't "get it" over there! Yeah keep giving them the 40 bucks or for the same response just wrap 2 20's around a sinker and throw it in the harbor.

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com

Reasonably young - 33 years. What size slip are you on the list for? I'll be looking for something capable of holding a vessel in the 40' range. Any idea on how the waiting lists differ based on vessel length?
    I am on two wait lists. The 28-34 and the 34-37. I was on the smaller one sooner, but then when I got my boat and realized that I was on the wrong size, I already had years into the first wait list, so why stop now? With an aluminum boat, I figure I could either remove or cut enough stuff off to make it under 34' LOA if necessary.

My impression is that the size range you (and I) am looking at are the worst, but there is no getting a slip fast there, no matter what the size is. I recommend that you make sure your father eats right and stays healthy, since this is your best bet for a continued slip there.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Another worthless money grab from a do nothing outfit!! Whats next a waiting list for a parking spot? To use the launching ramp? Where does all those $40 go? You'd think they could fix all the holes in the docks, maybe some cleats that aren't ready to pull out, water spigots that actually work, no bolt heads sticking out of the docks so they don't gouge up the side of your boat, a decent oil dump and the list goes on. I've only been fishing out of there for a short 20 years and its only gone downhill, they just don't "get it" over there! Yeah keep giving them the 40 bucks or for the same response just wrap 2 20's around a sinker and throw it in the harbor.
    I wish Whittier charged $500 per year for the wait list and $5000 per year for a 40 foot slip. It still would be a cheaper deal than Cliffside, although that is a much nicer facility.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast