Thread: Trout Fishing Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan during Cruise ship

Default Trout Fishing Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan during Cruise ship

Trout Fishing Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan during Cruise ship

Hello, I am new to this forum and looking for some help.
    I am a fly fisherman with experience fishing for trout in California and Colorado rivers. I am going on a cruise and will be at each of the three cities listed (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan) from about 8am-8pm. So only one day at each, as they are some of the ports along the cruise. I'd love to bring my rod and catch a trout in Alaska, and wondered if these towns have easily accessible rivers that I could do well on with dry flies (preferably). But I'm just looking for some good trout fishing. Otherwise, should I look into a guide service? I fear my knowledge in California and Colorado might not all transfer to Alaskan waters. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Juneau, AK

Welcome to the forum!

Southeast Alaska is not a prime location to catch trout. We are known for salmon. Here's a news article about that from today:

That being said, there are some lakes around Juneau you can hike to or charter a float plane to fish for cutthroat trout. Here are the regs that talk about the lakes that have cutthroat trout.

Twin Lakes is the easiest to get to, but it only has stocked salmon smolt in it. They can stock with many types, but they haven't put anything but king salmon in for quite a while. It's where all the little kids fish.

Salmon Creek reservoir is a good, but strenuous hike that you could do while your ship is in town, but don't plan on doing anything else. The best fishing is at the far end of the reservoir and it won't be very full until the middle of summer. Don't even try in May or early June.

Chartering a float plane to fly up to Turner Lake would be cool. It's a trophy lake, so it's catch and release.

5819'59"N 13429'49"W

It would be helpful to have an approximate date to go on, as our fisheries in Juneau are highly seasonal and in some cases very short lived affairs.

You might want to get ahold of Arne at Bear Creek Outfitters in Juneau - they offer half- and full-day trips and specialize in catering to the cruise ship angler.