Thread: How far is montague island out of Whittier?

Default How far is montague island out of Whittier?

I don't have a map but I'm wondering hOw far it is and how long does it take to get there? Also does anybody hunt it for deer out of Whittier?

I would do some forum searches first. It is not a good time of the year to start thinking about heading out there. No one can tell you how long it is going to get there unless they know how fast you are going to be traveling, wha tthe curren wave height height is and so on. You really need to do some research.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

It's just about 90 miles to the southern end, as my boat GPS says.
    Listen to the advice above. Hire a plane and fly out there this time of year.
    You guys are new to the ocean as you stated in an earlier post.
    BK

Bk I'm not planning on going anytime soon. Just day dreaming about hunting options. Btw I hate the search function on this forum it's pretty useless at filtering what you need. I always attempt to use it before I ask a question. So from what I gather it's between 50-90 miles away? My boss said its 60 to the north end.

60 to the north end?? The north east end? Although I haven't checked the maps in quite a while it seems like it was longer. I have been to middle island west side out of whittier and was thinking it was around 75 to 80 miles to near the Needles. Going about 24 knots it was around 3 hours, but that was with some diddlin around. You can pin it pretty darn close with a scale (ruler) and the Alaska topo atlas. I try to go point to point as much as possible if just traveling to a known point and attempting to use least amount of fuel/time.

Depending on your electronics, you could get your gps unit out and create a route that would get you really close - - if you don't have that kind of electronics you probably should not be out in the Sound this time of year.

Simple method for figuring distance would be to just use Google Earth and draw a route (the tool that looks like a ruler on the top center).

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Simple method for figuring distance would be to just use Google Earth and draw a route (the tool that looks like a ruler on the top center).
    I use that religiously. Great tool.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

67.77 miles to the northern tip of Montague from Whittier
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Buy the Maptech Navigator Pro for your laptop or computer. I bought it a month ago and LOVE it has the 3-D contour maps on it also. Can do all that you want above and more on this program still learning it but Ii have 5 more months to get it right
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Three to four hours depending on your speed in perfect weather to the closest areas. In bad or worse weather it can be a lifetime.

If you're figuring fuel range, don't forget to figure at least double what it would be in ideal conditions. So say 4 hours worth of fuel out, 4 hours worth of fuel back, and 8 hours of fuel for unforeseen circumstances. (And that doesn't include general running around when you get there.) The reason for doubling up is, if you are bucking bad weather, you are going to burn extra fuel, and there's nothing worse than being in a bad spot, unless it's being in a bad spot and running out of fuel. Then you are at the mercy of the wind and sea.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

The water taxi I'm taking out of whittier next week said that it's about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour run to port chalmers which is on the northwest side of the island. NOAA is calling for calm weather next weekend but there is always a chance of bad weather. I would go with someone who knows pws before just exploring out there in november.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.361185,-148.572728

Why bother with a boat? Just take a jetski.http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ki-to-Montague

We have talked about that so extensively at work, I spit soda out of my nose when I read that thread. Never knew anyone ever actually did this craziness?!?

I have been wanting to take a month for an "into the wild" adventure of kayaking the sound in the summer, but maybe I will PWC it?