Thread: U.S Military Sleep System by Tennier Industries

Default U.S Military Sleep System by Tennier Industries

Good Day Everyone,

I just received a 3 piece sleep system that I purchased off of Ebay. I won the bid at $117.00, so I think I made out okay. I looked over the patrol and intermediate bags with a fine tooth comb and found them to be in outstanding shape! No abrasions, stains, wear, or tear, and best of all, no foul smells! What I did find that was not expected, was that the intermediate bag, is gray in color, instead of the black I was expecting. The patrol bag is OD, that was expected. The other thing is, all tags on the patrol, intermediate bags, and large stuff sack, have the same NSN number, though they are made by Tennier. The NSN on each one is W9124Q-05-D-0826. I have searched the internet, but haven't really turned up a good answer. I don't know if the gray bag is an older model, or a newer model? Why is the same NSN number on each article's tag? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Respectfully,

Jeff

Yes, tennier is the company contracted by the Army to manufacture their sleep system. If you have one made by tennier, than it should be the digitized ACU pattern on the gore-tex bivvy. The other two pieces will not be the same color as the old woodland camo pattern. Sometimes these surplus folks mix n match pieces in the sleep system, but their performance won't change. I have three sleep systems. The old goose down bag with lot's of room where it zip at the top of the bag, the woodland pattern sleep system, and the ACU colored one. The newest one uses a very good fill material and is certainly the warmest, but the old woodland one is almost as good. The old goosedown one isn't as warm as the three piece.

I found the same thing when I recently purchased one. The way it was explained to me was the sleep system with the black intermediate bag was issued to Marines, the gray to the Army. They're the same thing but is seems to me the black bag is a bit warmer.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

I don't know about your sleeping system but I do know a Lot number from a NSN. What you posted was a Lot number from a contract in 2005. If they all have the same lot number that just means you have a complete system made at the time. The NSN would look more like 8410-00-123-4567 and those should be different for each bag unless they are one assembly but it sounds like they are seperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I found the same thing when I recently purchased one. The way it was explained to me was the sleep system with the black intermediate bag was issued to Marines, the gray to the Army. They're the same thing but is seems to me the black bag is a bit warmer.
    Plus, Marine stuff is just cooler! (I mean, in terms of hipness, not temperature).

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Plus, Marine stuff is just cooler! (I mean, in terms of hipness, not temperature).
    You got that right! Semper Fi Mac and Happy Birthday
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    You got that right! Semper Fi Mac and Happy Birthday
    Thanks AK Bird! Semper fi, and Happy 236th B-Day to you too.

Thank you everyone for your input, I never doubted that it was genuine issue, it just caught me by surprise that the NSN's were the same for each item and the color didn't match the ones I had seen before. You guy's cleared everything up, thank you again!

Jeff