Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice conditions!

Default Ice conditions!

Fellow member Bigcox and i had an itch to ice fish. We headed out to the big lake area to test some lakes, first lake was Marion lake, it was full of snow i took a couple steps out onto the ice then to test the ice used a big metal rod which punched right thru, ice was barely formed and soft so we left that lake then headed to our second lake (Diamond), took a few steps out on to the lake and preceeded to test the ice, we made it about 40yrds and started drilling the ice thickness was 4 inches of solid clear ice, we fished it for about an hour with no strikes, Our third and final lake, we'll just call it "unamed lake", we preceeded to test the lake with our make shift spud, for fear of pushing our luck to far we stopped about 25yrds from shore popped a couple holes and started fishing. we managed 2 nice bows and a couple scares as the ice moaned below us, within the 2 hours of fishing the ice had sank 3in, Bigcox decided to see exactly how thick it was, the ice was a whopping 2in thick. If you decide to go take a buddy and a rope and be sure to test the ice before you venture out to far, Its just a matter of time until all the lakes are ready for fishing just dont want anyone becoming a statistic. be safe out there.
    2in ice.jpgice fishing 2011-2012.jpg
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Thanks for the report fusion, that sounds scary to me!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I love to ice fish but as I've aged I decided it's not worth a couple of fish to break through the ice. I use to be first on the ice but now I'm more than happy to follow some one else's tracks. Thanks 900 for being first, now it's time for me to follow.

Not real thick ice by AK standards, I'm sure!!! Being that I spent the last several years in eastern WA, I learned that 3-5" will do under sub-freezing conditions.....as long as it's still making ice. I did nearly the same thing on the Eielson base lakes last week. Halloween as a matter of fact! Ten steps out where I knew the water was only a couple feet deep, drilled and got 5". Took another ten steps and got 4". Ten more steps got me roughly 3". Needless to say I didn't take another ten! I moved back to the 4" ice and got my first ice caught char and missed a few others. Just 6" days later I took my boy out and found that ice 2-3" thicker. I knew I would be ice fishing early up here but seriously, Halloween??!! Nice fish, BTW! Wish I had bows like that in my immediate area!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    Wish I had bows like that in my immediate area!
    I'm not sure but I think you're in luck, i'm pretty sure theres some folks here that can help you out w/ that.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Great to see the season is under way! Currently here in Fort Irwin, CA the ice is non-existant. Can't wait to get home to NoPo in a couple weeks to try the local hardwater with the familiar crew.

Sapper in the Desert Skies

1st trip this weekend! Have all the gear ready and then some! Hope to pull many fish through the ice this weekend! I figure in about two weeks or less it will be time to hit the BIG ONES! The jiggy juice is ready to go! Even thought about bringing the ingrediants for a Galvatron! My my liver is good!

You guys are crazy...Glad that trampoline pole helped you out! lol

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    You guys are crazy...Glad that trampoline pole helped you out! lol
    It sure did work thanks nook
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Nice!!!
    I'm heading out on my first hardwater trip this weekend too.
    Bring it on!!!!

BigCox had to at least try before the cycle started again....tramp pole...haha

@Alcanron....there will be big ones caught on Friday...what are you talking about, 2 weeks??

heres from the event last year (1st annual Veterans Day Ice Fishing Event) How many Vets can we get out on the lake friday?

Ian22inch.jpg
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    Not real thick ice by AK standards, I'm sure!!! Being that I spent the last several years in eastern WA, I learned that 3-5" will do under sub-freezing conditions.....as long as it's still making ice. I did nearly the same thing on the Eielson base lakes last week. Halloween as a matter of fact! Ten steps out where I knew the water was only a couple feet deep, drilled and got 5". Took another ten steps and got 4". Ten more steps got me roughly 3". Needless to say I didn't take another ten! I moved back to the 4" ice and got my first ice caught char and missed a few others. Just 6" days later I took my boy out and found that ice 2-3" thicker. I knew I would be ice fishing early up here but seriously, Halloween??!! Nice fish, BTW! Wish I had bows like that in my immediate area!
    You definitely do have them in your area, Quartz Lake is one of my all time favorites.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Went out to Cottonwood lake yesterday. 4" of clear ice. caught a fat 15" bow before the bait could hit the bottom.

Some really good information about ice:
    http://www.crrel.usace.army.mil/ierd...ty/safety.html

Default game on

a buddy and i hit cottonwood lake for a few hours today. there was 5-6 inches of good ice in all the places that i drilled. iced a few decent rainbows. all in all a nice day to hang out in the snow.

has anyone been out ice fishing this week hows the ice looking

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matt c View Post
    has anyone been out ice fishing this week hows the ice looking

thanks
    Hasn't it been pretty cold there? I'd say you are good to go, but be careful.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

me and some buddys went to Cottonwood lake today the ice was around 10'' we slade the fish had a good day on the lake cant wait to do it agin

[IMG]fish[/IMG]

tryed to put pics on here but dont know how

@matt where were you guys fishing on the lake? And how big were the fish ?

Matt, Please tell me exactly where you drilled the holes, I promise I won't fish there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast