Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of Baikal guns?

Default Quality of Baikal guns?

I found one other post on here but the OP didn't end up buying the gun. Wondering if anyone has any input on the quality to be expected? I'm not looking for a family heirloom, just a brush beater to shoot rabbits and squirrels. I am looking at the .410/22lr over/under.

Also interested in the Savage in the same or similar calibers but haven't been able to find one locally.

Thanks!

From what I've seen, fit and finish can range from good to course while the mechanics are basic but solid. I haven't handled the O/U that you describe, but I had the chance to handle a dozen SxS 20 gauges at the same time. One was so good that I took it home, but the stock on one looked like it had been whittled with a pocket knife. They were all double trigger with extractors along the lines of the old Savage Stevens. Like I said- basic.

I don't think I'd hesitate to buy one if I got to look it over first, but would expect a pretty low price if buying sight unseen.

If you get one, you might want to refinish the stock to start with, I took a new 20 ga bird hunting in the rain, and when I got back my hands were red and the stock was just about white. All the stain just washed off the stock. I refinished the stock and coated it with a waterproof finish, works great now.

I was lookin for one of them too, I couldn't find enough feed back on it to buy it on line, I've also been looking for a savage or stevens.

In case you didn't know stevens is making a comeback. so you might want to look into it, I havn't yet
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I have also heard the Baikals are hit and miss. I started looking into these a while back and (IIRC) the older Savage 24s have the side selector switch for barrel selection. Personally this is the model I would go for as the little star thing on the new 24s seems a bit of a PITA.

They make price point guns but they also build guns costing many thousands of dollars.Look at the market being filled to figure quaility.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

There are savage 24 22/20 Ga 22 Mag/20 ga and a 223/12 Ga for sale on gun broker for 300-400 bucks, I am looking at the 12 Ga 223 combo
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Thanks for all the input, i'm still mulling it over. I'm really after a beater gun so as long as its "functional" I don't mind working on the stock. In fact I might start out painting one snow cammo!

I've looked at some of the ones on GunBroker.com but I would feel terrible taking some of the ones in good condition into the field in the snow/rain etc.

If 3 Bears can get me one cheap enough I may "pull the trigger"...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Thanks for all the input, i'm still mulling it over. I'm really after a beater gun so as long as its "functional" I don't mind working on the stock. In fact I might start out painting one snow cammo!

I've looked at some of the ones on GunBroker.com but I would feel terrible taking some of the ones in good condition into the field in the snow/rain etc.

If 3 Bears can get me one cheap enough I may "pull the trigger"...
    Let me know what you get it for(if you don't mind) cause I'm lokin for one too.

I had the Baikal .22 over .410 and it was a miss. The .410 wouldn't fire after only 6 rounds through it. I cleaned out the firing pin area like some advised and still no dice. Tried different brands of shells etc. Not reliable at all. I'd stick with Savage.

Just my .02

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Let me know what you get it for(if you don't mind) cause I'm lokin for one too.
    Well I checked with 3 Bears and their distributor that handles EAA doesn't have the Baikals on their list yet.

Amazingly, I stumbled on a Savage this morning and bought it without hesitation. The stock is very rough and the metal has a few small rust spots and missing bluing in a few areas but it should clean up very nice.

Thanks again for all the input!

Well I checked with 3 Bears and their distributor that handles EAA doesn't have the Baikals on their list yet.

Amazingly, I stumbled on a Savage this morning and bought it without hesitation. The stock is very rough and the metal has a few small rust spots and missing bluing in a few areas but it should clean up very nice.

Thanks again for all the input!
    does it shoot pretty good?

I fired the .22 barrel one time at a snow back, about 25 yards, it appeared to hit the general area I was aiming at (within an inch or so). Haven't shot the .410 barrel yet. Works going to keep me away from the gun for the week but i'll report back this weekend.

I fired the .22 barrel one time at a snow back, about 25 yards, it appeared to hit the general area I was aiming at (within an inch or so). Haven't shot the .410 barrel yet. Works going to keep me away from the gun for the week but i'll report back this weekend.

My friend has the stevens 22/410 and it is pretty accurate. but the little "button" on the side that flips up or down for rifle/shotgun always flips it self up(into the rifle position), even if your just walkin down the trail, which is really a pain cause while I can and do hit flying grouse with a 22, I have always wanted to do it with a shotgun and that pretty much doesnt ever happen, cause its alwaysed flipped into the 22 barrel.

DOes your do that? you should post a picture of it.....

I'll try and get a picture up shortly. I don't know the line intamately but I believe mine is older than the one you've handled. The selectro is on the hammer and actually changes what pin the hammer hits directly. I've not had trouble with it changing positions although I only carried it for about 2 miles so far and shot it once!

I'll post up a picture of it ASAP, I was told the production date was 1956 based on the numbers on the barrel(s).

The old one has the side button and its a pain to change the first couple of times
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    DOes your do that? you should post a picture of it.....

Took me a while but I finally got some pictures, enjoy! Oh and I got the date backward, its actually a 1965 model, according to the dealer... Didn't really matter to me, thats just what he told me.
    201.jpg197.jpg

The Baikals I've handled were built like tanks and some of them were about as refined.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    The Baikals I've handled were built like tanks and some of them were about as refined.
    That's for sure!! I have a 28 ga SxS that is well balanced and scaled to the 28 ga but inside it looks like it was machined with a rock. If I get board this winter I'm going to do some smoothing and polishing and see if I can get rid of the black stain on the wood. It will be a wonderful little bird gun once it gets some American "refining".

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    That's for sure!! I have a 28 ga SxS that is well balanced and scaled to the 28 ga but inside it looks like it was machined with a rock. If I get board this winter I'm going to do some smoothing and polishing and see if I can get rid of the black stain on the wood. It will be a wonderful little bird gun once it gets some American "refining".
    That pretty well sums it up! I just finished 2 weeks of pheasant hunting and carried the SxS 20 for "backup." I ended up using it quite a bit because it pointed and shot so well. By the end of the trip, lots of internal "smoothing" had happened, and it really improved the function of the little sweety. I haven't popped the wood for a closer look at the innards, but I'm betting I won't have much honing to do now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast