Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yentna susitna ice

Default yentna susitna ice

anyone that lives on the river have an ice update?

I thinkyou are talking about the lack of ice.
    Deshka Landing Boat Lauch does not have Ice yet.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

The landing website pictures show it froze on the 6th

The Susitna is jammed but still has many open leads. Not near ready for travel. With this much snow before frezze up it will take a little time. Here on the Alexander we have been jammed since Oct 31rst and we still have a lead or two open because of the heavy snowfall. Be safe out there!

If the Su surface was smoother I have no doubt a guy could scoot across it in the traditional places. From the air the river is locked up tight except where open leads are always open. It sure looks rough, though, with all the ice jumbles. Alexander and Anderson creeks are iffy for sure. Alexander has lots more standing water and open leads as you go upstream. I hate to say it but we need some cold weather. But all in all things look good for the first week in November.

Mr.pid, How did Fish Creek at the gas line look? Thinking about running up the west channel to the east fork and checking it out in a day or two. Heard Rip took a swim at his place the other day and that was just walking on the ice!

Couple guys went to the big su from the crooked lake trail sunday, little su is froze hopefully the big rivers will be safe in a week or two

Fish creek looked fine from 700' and 90mph. But that doesn't mean it's ready yet! Just like the jumbled ice on the Su, the banks at Fish Creek would force you to stop on the ice. I hate doing that when I'm making first tracks. Running the sandbars down the west channel and back up to the crossing from below looks good. Arlette's Alley looks pretty good but I'd be worried about ice on the west side of the big channel. It looked a little bit dark there. May have been how the wind blew, though.

Come on cold weather.....can't wait to get there, safely.
    Appreciate all the updates guys.
    BK

Not Yet..Email received from office today
    http://www.deshkalanding.com/

We are going out tonight. I will have a swamp and Creek report for the east side by Saturday....

IMG_4267.jpgIMG_4266.jpgWest channel at five fingers and over to the east fork good to cross from Alexander to east fork by gasline and Fish Creek. Going to main channel tommorow and friends from town will be comming from Pt.Mac. Five Wolfs crossing five fingers pretty regular so thinking they are sticking around somewhere close! Almost time for Moose hunting!

Alexander,
    Excuse my ignorance as I am not familiar with the southern end of the Big Su, but are you riding on the Big Su down by Alexander? Is that what the pic shows or is that an open sandbar area your riding on? Ie...are you crossing the river down there already?

Anyone have report farther up by Yetna or from Deshka yet?

Appreciate the pics. Hopefully you get to drop some wolves while out chasing moose.
    Good luck,
    BK

Yes bkmail you can cross here on the west channel, not much water and mainly sandbars. The problem is we have been getting to much snow before the ice gets real thick. I know that the Su jammed up after the biggest dump of snow so it might be better than the creeks and lakes. My Pilot friends report that it does look frozen. Will give a better report tonight. My bet is that everyone should be very cautious about river and lake travel yet. Too much snow too early if you ask me. But it sure is good to get away from the house and be able to travel again!

Roger that Alexander. Thanks for the clarification.
    I too am a bit nervous about the early snow insulating the thin ice.
    I'm sure there will be a few brave souls out running this weekend.
    Looking forward to taking off from deshka landing but I'll give it another week or so.....
    Thanks,
    BK

IMG_4271.jpgIMG_4274.jpgWent out and checked the east fork today. Ice is generaly 6 to 7 inches thick on the smooth ice and more on the jammed ice. Plenty doable but fish creek is iffy. Dont know about Flathorn? Has anyone been there? The pictures were taken above the gasline just below Flathorn Lake. Notice the dog is leading the way. Animals have an acute sense when it comes to ice.

Default first trip

lots of snow, creeks need some more cold weather to be really good.... nonetheless, a good first trip.

Kevin111.jpg113.jpg

there has been traffic up to skwentna so far i see....... anyone leave from the deshka landing yet?

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    there has been traffic up to skwentna so far i see....... anyone leave from the deshka landing yet?
    http://www.deshkalanding.com/

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Would like to make it out to the lake creek area this coming weekend. Any thoughts? Its been below zero for the last few days and should be till the weekend..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast