Thread: Fleas??

Default Fleas??

Last winter was my first time ever trapping and didn't like the fact that there were fleas on the citters. I thought first I was seeing things or Denalihunter and BRWNBR were playing tricks on me and trying to just make me skirm like a little girl while skinning. So thought I would ask what others do about the fleas on the critters. Spray them with something before skinning? Let them freeze so the fleas die? If you tell me there are no fleas, I am going after Denalihunter and BRWNBR!!
    Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

THere are some older posts on here about this, I don't worry about it when I shoot rabbits, but they fit in the sink so the fleas don't get away. Other guys were putting them in plastic bags and spraying something in them I think, maybe just waiting for them to jump off the cold carcass, fleas won't stay on something that isn't warm.

As a side note, USFWS bios claim that the fleas are species specific, so theoretically fleas from a rabbit shouldn't consider your dog a good host. Still worries me a bit but not enough to keep me from bringing them home.

Yes there are fleas, I shoot squirrels that have them quite a bit, I put them in a bag with a cottonball of gasoline if its a fox or what ever I have heard of people sticking them in garbage bags with a douse of gas, it makes the fur fluffy and takes out any pitch too.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I throw them in a plastic bag right away and spray with Raid Flea Formula. Let sit for an hour or so. Smells great!