Thread: Winchester Model 12 16 Gauge with modified choke

Default Winchester Model 12 16 Gauge with modified choke

It's time to start looking for my dream shotgun. I know it's not fancy but, I'm looking for a Winchester Model 12 16 Gauge with a Modified choke... Not really interested in full choke or any after market poly-chokes, thanks. Probably a long shot... please respond to a similar post in the firearms swap and sell forum.

Thanks
    tmckee

T

If it's a pump you want, and you can't find that Model 12, you might want to check out the new Ithaca gun company and look into a model 37?

I'm rather fond of anything in 16 gauge.

Jim

Nothing against the Ithaca, but it's the model 12 for sentimental reasons...My Dad's hanging on to my grandfather's ... I'd venture to say he has more right to it than I do.

Sound reasoning for the Model 12, I'd say! I'll keep an eye out for one. You might try th e gun room at Cabelas and Shooting Spotsman for a start. Good luck!

Jim

Yeah, I've found some on gunbroker.com, but I saw a couple at a gun show in Wasilla last year and was hoping to track down something local. They definitely aren't hard to come by...I'll have it shipped in if I have to. Thanks.

Default I have the gun you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    Yeah, I've found some on gunbroker.com, but I saw a couple at a gun show in Wasilla last year and was hoping to track down something local. They definitely aren't hard to come by...I'll have it shipped in if I have to. Thanks.
    I was just surfing the interwebs trying to find info on a gun I am thinking about selling and ran across this post. The gun I have is in great shape, and in working order. I did a serial number search a few years back a discovered it was made in 1939

Quote Originally Posted by Hooptologist View Post
    I was just surfing the interwebs trying to find info on a gun I am thinking about selling and ran across this post. The gun I have is in great shape, and in working order. I did a serial number search a few years back a discovered it was made in 1939
    The Model 12 is a great shotgun and holds a lot of sentimental value for me as well. Although not a 16, the one I have is a 20 guage made in 1937. My father gave it to me when I was 12 years old. Shortly after that, he provided a MEC reloader and a case of Winchester Skeet shells. I shot that thing so much I wore the shells out reloading them. I lived out in the country and hunted Doves and Quail every day that the season was open. I killed a lot of duck and countless Pheasants. I still have that shotgun and it has unspeakable personal value to me. I understand your quest, TMcKee. Good luck, Sir.

Very nice!

I have my grandfathers Model 12 16 guage. It was his first shotgun he bought around 1920, and the first I hunted with. The choke is full - so full that even after reaming it out it shot tighter than the several other full choke versions owned by the family. If has killed more game than I could ever dream of, including prairie chickens in Nebraska, and has now been shot so much the the brass cracks on shells when fired and the safety so worn it no longer worked (that is fixed). It is now just a keepsake.
    My first shotgun was a model 12 my father bought for me when I was in high school. Took off the butt plate and there was a 1926 hunting license in it.
    With those I have inherited, I now own 6 model 12s. Those built before the early 70s version came out are awesome guns.

The family sportinghistory and tradition that comes to mind at the mention. To this day when I rack the action on theModel 12, I can still see the tail of our Brittany from when I was a boy startup at the speed of blur!

OK...it's an old thread but I'm a sucker for a M12 love fest. Here's my Great granddad's M12 in 12ga. It has the most impossibly full choke I've ever encountered. I've shot a lot of firsts with this old guy.

M12.jpg
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hodgeman,

I own some pretty nice guns, but I don't own anything with a history like your gun has. Lucky you. Nice gun with a great past.

Default Winchester Model 12 16 Gauge with modified choke

So I think I might have posted this in another thread, but I ended up finding my dream gun... Problem was that it was manufactured in 1918 and shoots 2 1/2" shells. I don't reload and haven't been able to get any of the few companies that make them to ship them up here. I'm headed to Missouri in December and I'm looking forward to finally being able to shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    So I think I might have posted this in another thread, but I ended up finding my dream gun... Problem was that it was manufactured in 1918 and shoots 2 1/2" shells. I don't reload and haven't been able to get any of the few companies that make them to ship them up here. I'm headed to Missouri in December and I'm looking forward to finally being able to shoot it.
    When you get down there- stock up on shells and bring a bunch back. Having something that uses odd ammo is something of a pain but it sounds like a great piece. I have a real affinity for the M12.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit