Thread: Mauser Scout Scope recommendations

Default Mauser Scout Scope recommendations

I just inherited a 1891 Argentine Mauser, small ring- numbers matching sported rifle. This rifle was used by my grandfather to hunt caribou, probably in the 60's and 70's. it's sat in my parents safe until recently. It shoots, and appears to be in good condition. I took the bolt apart and cleaned it... apparently two generations of my lineage didn't see fit to do so and it still had the original cosmoline in the bolt... yuck. I'd like to get this rifle in the field and taking game again. I took the rifle to a local gunsmith, and they basically told me not to touch the rifle, and that it would cost about $400. to mount a scope to it.... you know turn down the bolt, file material off to attach mounts and rings... etc.. anyhow about $200 more than I wanted to throw at the project. So after some internet searching I found a place that sells a mount that attaches to the original rear sight. No drilling or altering of the rifle. So long story short is, has anyone on here ever done this to a mauser, and if so what scope did you use. It will require a long eye relief scope, probably a pistol scope. And if you have done it what sucess did you have at getting it to hit on target. Thanks.

Default scope

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    I just inherited a 1891 Argentine Mauser, small ring- numbers matching sported rifle. This rifle was used by my grandfather to hunt caribou, probably in the 60's and 70's. it's sat in my parents safe until recently. It shoots, and appears to be in good condition. I took the bolt apart and cleaned it... apparently two generations of my lineage didn't see fit to do so and it still had the original cosmoline in the bolt... yuck. I'd like to get this rifle in the field and taking game again. I took the rifle to a local gunsmith, and they basically told me not to touch the rifle, and that it would cost about $400. to mount a scope to it.... you know turn down the bolt, file material off to attach mounts and rings... etc.. anyhow about $200 more than I wanted to throw at the project. So after some internet searching I found a place that sells a mount that attaches to the original rear sight. No drilling or altering of the rifle. So long story short is, has anyone on here ever done this to a mauser, and if so what scope did you use. It will require a long eye relief scope, probably a pistol scope. And if you have done it what sucess did you have at getting it to hit on target. Thanks.
    I have.
    M39 Burris Scout scope and Darrells Mount from Parallex Forum. Works well and groups nicely, still going strong. Have one on the swiss K31, same deal. Check Parallex to see what mounts they make for the scout for M91.

The Leupold Scout scope works as well. Some have luck with NC scopes, some do not.
    Some of the other brands and no names mounts are chinsy for the Mauser and do not hold up well. S&K makes good stuff and stands behind it.

While I have not scoped out the M91 this way, I have scout scoped a K98 and M96 Swede just fine with a B-Square mount.

Enjoy!

R/Allen

Have not done it to a Mauser, but I have the Leupold FX-2 Scout scope on a Win. 94 and LOVE it. It is a fixed 2 power and it comes instantly to view when you raise the rifle.

I just completed an XS sights Scope mount for the Marlin 1895. Looks like they had something that might work for what you got. Seemed Liked quality stuff to me. For my Application I went with an Aimpoint, You can toss that up to " just cause" :O)