Thread: Winter fishing options

Default Winter fishing options

My buddy just bought a boat and I'm wondering if you can catch halibut all year or if your pretty much limited to winter kings out of homer? Also can you still get rock fish? We are both very green at ocean fishing do people fish Whittier in the winter or does it freeze up? Thanks for any help

Halibut tend to move out to deeper waters in the winter. That said I'm sure you can find a few out of Cook Inlet if you tried.
    Weather out of Whittier will kick your butt in the winter on most days. There is a P.U. crab fishery out of Whittier this time of year. The bay remains open so it is an option if you want do it.
    I wouldn't recommend screwing around out of Whittier this time of year unless you had some ocean time under your belt, it's not a place for greehorns right now.
    Now, come summer, you'll love the place.
    My advice.....be patient and wait till spring.
    BK

Default thanks for the info

we definately are both smart enough to not go out when its dangerous. Good weather for starters. Do you know much about homer in the winter? I doubt hell be able to sit on the itch of a new boat all winter.

I think the bigger problem this time of year is going when it looks safe, but the weather can switch pretty drastically in just a few hours. It's more than knowing what it is now or looking at the civilian weather predictions... I fly and I get pretty nervous about how quickly it changes, and I can make it across the sound in any direction in about an hour and a half.

Not too mention launch and retrieve on ice and snow covered ramps.....icing conditions on the boat with spray.....icing conditions at night....darkness.....ice laden logs and crap floating low in the water....no one out there to help if you need it....weather changing in the blink of an eye, scuppers and pumps freezing up....on and on.
    At least go to Homer if you have to go. Just dragging a boat down to homer in the winter would be a bit** though.
    Even the seasoned vets don't do it in the winter....why is your buddy not listening to eveyones advice?
    Be safe amigo! I'm done warning ya.
    BK

Bk cuz he's old and stubborn

Gotcha, good luck.
    BK

How big a boat are you trying to float?

Just to add a little more BS and PHd (piled higher and deeper)...
    check the regs on Halibut, there is a month or two (jan and Feb) that the season is closed.... altho winter kings are game year round (I believe)... and you can always catch a cod or two... the launch ramp can be fun sometimes... I and old (RIP) Al Johnson used to buy a 12 pack and go park at the top of the launch ramp... more fun than a circus to watch... If you do go out this time of year, I hope your friends boat has a good heater in it... you'll need it... otherwise Good Luck....

another statistic in the making!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Just to add a little more BS and PHd (piled higher and deeper)...
    check the regs on Halibut, there is a month or two (jan and Feb) that the season is closed.... altho winter kings are game year round (I believe)... and you can always catch a cod or two... the launch ramp can be fun sometimes... I and old (RIP) Al Johnson used to buy a 12 pack and go park at the top of the launch ramp... more fun than a circus to watch... If you do go out this time of year, I hope your friends boat has a good heater in it... you'll need it... otherwise Good Luck....
    Here's the reg:

Halibut in Cook Inlet salt waters
    Pacific halibut fisheries are managed by the federal government under international
    treaty. Federal possession and landing requirements for sport-caught halibut differ from
    state regulations. Proxy fishing for halibut is not allowed.
    • Season is Feb. 1–Dec. 31
    • Unguided anglers—limit is 2

And there are halibut out in K-bay all year long if you know where to look for them. I have a couple of favorite spots, personally.

And the launch ramp can be "iffy" at times, and at some time not even negotiable. Best thing to do is to call the Homer Harbor Master's office and see what's going on.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com