Thread: Swift Data?

Wink Swift Data?

Anyone have any data for a 375 Rum with 270 grain Swift a frame bullets? I would like to use H 4350 powder, and the manuals I have use IMR 4350. What Powder does Swift recomend in their manual? Thanks Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default The BIG 375...

I have loaded this one with H4350. This has been my most accurate powder for it but RL-22 was the highest velocity with the 270 A-frames.

90.0-95.0 grains of H4350 and the 270 A-frame is what works. 95.0 grains gives about 2900 fps. My test rifle for this one was a Bill Wiseman rifle made on a Sako action and one of his effective but hideously noisy brakes and it never moved off the bench when shooting. I shot many one inch groups with this rifle at two hundred yards.

This bullet when loaded with 105.0 grains of RL-22 will give 3000 fps from this 24" barrel.

The best field performance from this slayer is with the 300 Swift A-frame and 97.0 grains of RL-22 for 2800 fps. Enjoy.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Question power

I am reloading for a 350 Griffin & Howe and was wondering how the H4350 would work for it and if so how many grains would you start out with. I am using IMR 4350 right now and found that 72 gr produces very good groups. I would just like to try some other powders and have also thought about trying RL-15. What do ya'll think. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    I am reloading for a 350 Griffin & Howe and was wondering how the H4350 would work for it and if so how many grains would you start out with. I am using IMR 4350 right now and found that 72 gr produces very good groups. I would just like to try some other powders and have also thought about trying RL-15. What do ya'll think. Thanks
    I would think a little slower powder would be better more likely RL-19 with this 35 bore. The rule is smaller bore= slower powder with same case size. Isn't your G&H an improved case with more shoulder?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    In my 350 Rigby I used both H4350 and Varget, and found that I had better accuracy with Varget. The Rigby is slightly smaller in capacity than the 350 G&H. I found both 66 gr Varget and 71 gr H4350 produced 2700 fps with 250 gr bullets, but Varget groups were sub moa, and H4350 was 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" for 3 shot groups.

Murphy
    I have been necking down 375 H&H brass but I just purchased some 350 Griffin & Howe brass from Quality Cartridges. The brass was not cheap either but you have to pay to play sometimes. What grain would you suggest to start with for the RL-19?

Paul H
    What grain would you suggest starting with the Varget? I have been using IMR 4350 and found 72 gr to do pretty could but I would like to try some other powders.

At this charge level it will take about 4.0 grains more RL-19 to equal the velocity/pressure of the IMR-4350 load. Start with the RL-19 where you stop with IMR-4350. The 72.0 grains is a good starting point and up to about 75.0 or 76.0 grains of RL-19, with the same bullet. RL-15 would use about 4 grains less than 4350 and Varget would be about 2.0 grain less than RL-15. This is just extrapolation, I haven't loaded with the Varget much. Paul can speak to that issue.

The G&H case will hold a little more powder than the 350 Rigby case, about equal the 358 STA, If you have a manual that list the the STA you could use reduced data from that....this would be a fun round to experiment with.