Thread: 89 yamaha Ovation not starting

Default 89 yamaha Ovation not starting

Well, this dang thang doesn't ever really want to start. and it fouls plugs like crazy (every other time you ride it) last winter, sometimes it would start right up, other times it wouldnt start at all, didn't really matter if it was cold or not that I can remember. at least I think it was fouling plugs, from what I can remember, youd switch out the plugs and after 5 or 10 pulls id fire right up. but I went to fire it up today and lo and behold it didn't start even with new plugs.
    I changed the needle last winter. it doesn't idle eather, it ran really good for a couple months right after I got it, and when its running it runs perfectly fine and has plenty of power. but if I shut it off or try to let it idle when I'm setting a trap or what not 1/3 of the time it wont start again, but typically if the engine is warm and I give it some gas while I pull it starts, but if the engine cools off at all it wont start.

Any ideas?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Start by cleaning yer carberators, then Clean your fuel pump.

If your pugz are fouling , what color are they? Black? if so, theres alotta oil being burned, if white, its way too lean on either oil or you air/fuel ratio is off..... you want them to be a nice Brown, a bit dark, then you know your running a good air/fuel/oil mixture.

Get "the book" on your model and go over it. There might be alotta info under your hood as well, I know Polaris has mass stickers under the hood with all the specs.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

You say "needle"... single carb?
    By all means lean it down. Maybe go with a hotter plug too. Older machines like your are not that hard to diagnose. Does it have good compression?

Stranger: Yes teh spark plugs are black. the specs on the jets say 1 1/4 turn out and i did that and it runs good, it doesn't say anything about the oil. Could I just take the oiler out and mix my own?

Sayak: ya its a single carb, twin barrel. I cleaned it right before I put it up last year. When you say a hotter plug, I run BR9EYA, what would be an appropriatly hotter plug?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

When change the needle how were the floats? sometime older machines they get heavy and allow more gas than what should be in there,they hang down a bit Not shuting the fuel off al the way, drop the float bowl ck, the level of the float. Making sure it shut off fuel at proper height..Also i would ck choke linkage, if like my old Yamaha There a barrel style on the side like little piston, if cable where to long flipping it while frozen will do this... Could be not pulling that little piston up out of the way far enough,or not letting down far enough out of the way.. like running on choke all the time .. Let know what you find...

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    When change the needle how were the floats? sometime older machines they get heavy and allow more gas than what should be in there,they hang down a bit Not shuting the fuel off al the way, drop the float bowl ck, the level of the float. Making sure it shut off fuel at proper height..Also i would ck choke linkage, if like my old Yamaha There a barrel style on the side like little piston, if cable where to long flipping it while frozen will do this... Could be not pulling that little piston up out of the way far enough,or not letting down far enough out of the way.. like running on choke all the time .. Let know what you find...
    I don't know what its sposed to be at but if i have time in the next couple days i will post, I might have a few hours to work on it tomorrow

Did you get condensation in your fuel? I second Stranger's advice on cleaning the carbs but don't clean the fuel filter, replace it. It's probably the original filter and now over 20 years old. Also, verify the jetting is correct. Check your exhaust seals too.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Fuel system maintenance would be my first step but I'd also be looking at the coil(s) and plug caps. And do a compression check. And make sure the muffler isn't partially blocked. And that reeds are in good shape. And.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Fuel system maintenance would be my first step but I'd also be looking at the coil(s) and plug caps. And do a compression check. And make sure the muffler isn't partially blocked. And that reeds are in good shape. And.....
    What are reeds? The compression is the same as always, not to light, but it doesn't "build" and rip you arm out of hte socket when you've pulled it 4 or 5 times. like the 4 wheeler.

Reed valves are an intake valve used on some 2-strokes. Honestly I don't know whether you have them in an Ovation motor or not but it's always on my 2-stroke checklist.

My brother had a 1989 Ovation that he bought new. As long as I can remember he has had starting problems and used it very little. He gave it to me last year, and first thing we pulled carb apart and one of the jets was almost plugged, I suspect old gas turning to varnish. Cleaned that and it ran like a top until the motor seized the next day. When disassembling the motor, we discovered a squirrel nest in the big plastic shroud over the motor that channels the air intake. The nest material was packed in there like a brick, I suspect it's been there for years but my brother never ran it more than ten minutes at a time and then always had trouble restarting. I ran it 40 minutes and the heat buildup was obviously too much for the engine. After rebuild, I am noticing that it uses very little oil from the injection tank. I have just yesterday started mixing my oil 100-1 in addition to whatever it injects. Just thought I'd mention these three things in case one of them helps you out. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
    My brother had a 1989 Ovation that he bought new. As long as I can remember he has had starting problems and used it very little. He gave it to me last year, and first thing we pulled carb apart and one of the jets was almost plugged, I suspect old gas turning to varnish. Cleaned that and it ran like a top until the motor seized the next day. When disassembling the motor, we discovered a squirrel nest in the big plastic shroud over the motor that channels the air intake. The nest material was packed in there like a brick, I suspect it's been there for years but my brother never ran it more than ten minutes at a time and then always had trouble restarting. I ran it 40 minutes and the heat buildup was obviously too much for the engine. After rebuild, I am noticing that it uses very little oil from the injection tank. I have just yesterday started mixing my oil 100-1 in addition to whatever it injects. Just thought I'd mention these three things in case one of them helps you out. Good luck!
    hey welcome to the forum, for some reason, dad went out there one day and it fired up the 2nd time he pulled on it, I don't know why but it has run better than ever sense. can't complain.....it is using more oil this year too.

What oil are you using? Some of the cheap "outboard" oils don't burn well and leave a lot of crud behind. If it were my sled, I would disconnect the oil injector and just mix gas since every yamaha in that age range that I know had it fail and blew the engine. Get a quality snowmachine/low temp oil that is made for pre-mixing (Amzoil has one that works well) and mix at 50:1. I ran an old Enticer like that for a long time with success.

As far as plugs go, I always ran BR8ES. The ECS has a different electrode design specifically for newer EFI engines, but I don't think it should make a difference. The lower the number, the hotter it gets. The 9ES always fouled in my machine because the engine never got hot enough to burn off the crud with only short or slow runs. If you go out and do speed runs for miles down the river, just put the 9ES back in so you don't burn a hole in the piston (don't ask me how I found out).

A carb overhaul isn't a bad idea ether, and isn't hard to do, but they usually fail toward the lean side, rather than too rich. Just get a can of carb cleaner and pull it apart, blow out all the passages and put it back together the way you found it. Rebuild kits are available for not much $ and come with most of the common fail parts and gaskets.