Thread: black bear seward

Default black bear seward

what is the black bear population looking like right now in seward and the surrounding area?

Seems to be normal for this time of year!
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

What is your definition of the surrounding area?
    I do not believe you mean Anchorage, but I have been hiking five to nine miles every day on the Anchorage hillside trail system and I have not saw a bear track since the snow hit a week ago. Just yesterday I saw a squadron of ravens and carefully investagated what was clearly some type of kill site. It was a dead moose. Although the fresh snow was litterally trampled flat with only coyote tracks, no bear prints were visible.
    But just last week I saw a smalll black bear within Anchorage at 68th St and Lake Otis Prkwy. A little guy just looking for dogfood or a trashcan, and gonna get itself in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by tfaudree5 View Post
    what is the black bear population looking like right now in seward and the surrounding area?
    Tfaudee5 I am assuming you mean the area surronding Seward and not Anchorage. Are you requesting information on the
    general state of the population or what currently have not started to hibernate? Welcome to the forum

I saw about 1/3 as many bears this fall as last in the kenai mountains in general. All sows with cubs too, got lots of good hiking in though!

They are still wandering around in town, saw tracks today.

yeah i was wondering where to go to bag a late season blackie. i deploy in dec so i wasnt sure if there was anyplace nearby