Thread: Put my barrel up on a platform?

Default Put my barrel up on a platform?

Daydreaming about bear baiting while watching football today.
    What if I built a platform 12'-14' up in the air between 3 or 4 solid enough trees... Maybe 8'x8' in size or so, could be square or rectangular or triangular shape, dosen't matter. And then put my barrel up on the platform attached snug to one of the trunks in a corner of the platform.
    Would black bears climb up to it to eat the bait? Would it keep browns out or would they just get up there anyway?
    It would be a good bit of work, but baiting is labor intensive anyway and browns are almost ruining it (on the peninsula). Finding the right stand of trees would be a challenge...
    If the browns were not getting rewarded with food I'm sure the brown traffic would reduce quite a bit.
    Thoughts?

It might just work, I'm sure you would have plent of small bears up there anyway... Couldn't hurt and you may just be on to something. I have to adapt from year to year with my set up at the same location. It seem like what ever I throw at them by the end of the season the figure out a short cut somehow to get to my bait... Might be worth setting up a bucket or something like that to test it out...

Its worth a try just to see if it works. get a little video from the game cam.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

That might be a good idea, worth a try on the KP. I'm about done baiting on the KP if this upcoming spring doesn't go better as far as brown bear traffic wise. Tried the small hole theory like they tell you at bear bait clinics and the brown bears dug a 5 foot wide X 3 foot deep pit to get at the food. Tried lots of popcorn and grain with little dogfood, no grease, or meat, and that still didn't work in keeping the browns away.

I'm still floating ideas around in my head and haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do yet. Know I need to try something different because the hunting was good early and then once the browns discovered the food the ratio went about 5:1 browns to blacks.

It should work fine, though you may not get the big boys to climb that high up depending on your set up.

I put a 35 gallon poly drum full of popcorn in a tree about 12 feet up to act as backup bait if my main barrel got devoured too quick cause I was only able to check on weekends. While I was there a 5ft or so blackie jumped up into the tree and climbed it like it was nothing. It ate popcorn in the tree about 20 ft away from me for about a half an hour. I don't know if a bigger bodied bear can climb that easy, but its worth a try.

I think it would deter brown bears, just make sure the platform or tree is stout enough so they don't just push it over.

Great minds must think alike because I had come up with the same idea late last year. I tried a leaning beetle killed spruce late in the season last year but that still wasn't enough. I had considered just lashing two-four horizontal "poles" about 10-12 feet up but I may do something more substantial.