Thread: mini 14 trouble

Default mini 14 trouble

Anyone have a scope mounted mini 14 ranch rifle? If so what scope are you using on it?. I recently purchased one used for predator hunting and when I went to have my leupold 3x9 scope mounted on it the gunsmith had trouble getting it to bore sight and had to make some adjustments to the mounts but was able to bore sight it. I took it out to sight it in today and at 50 yrds its shooting 2 inches high and one inch to the right of center. I have the scope adjustments windward as far left as it will rotate and the up/down as far down as it will rotate and its still shooting this far off. Would this be a mounting issue? I plan to bring it back to the gun smith tomorrow but needless to say im getting frustrated.

maybe it's the scope, mount, rings, barrel. Try a differnt scope on it first and see if that straightens it out
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

It may well be the adjustments made by the GS to get his boresighter to work
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Maybe the Barrel rifleing?

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Anyone have a scope mounted mini 14 ranch rifle? If so what scope are you using on it?. I recently purchased one used for predator hunting and when I went to have my leupold 3x9 scope mounted on it the gunsmith had trouble getting it to bore sight and had to make some adjustments to the mounts but was able to bore sight it. I took it out to sight it in today and at 50 yrds its shooting 2 inches high and one inch to the right of center. I have the scope adjustments windward as far left as it will rotate and the up/down as far down as it will rotate and its still shooting this far off. Would this be a mounting issue? I plan to bring it back to the gun smith tomorrow but needless to say im getting frustrated.
    This maybe a barrle proplem. I have a MAC-11 9mm that I could not site in no matter what I did. It turned
    out it was the barrel rifleing. jusy enough wear in it to cause to bullet go where it wanted to. May not be your
    problem just wanted to let you know my experience so you could check it out. I would have the barrel checked
    carefully for wear and inconsistencies.

A MAC 11? they are a spray and pray weapon, with pressed sheet metal sights, why would you want to even try and sight that in?
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Personally I would think the issue is whatever the 'gunsmith' (I use that term loosely as not all smiths are equal!) did to 'modify' the mounting. Ranch rifles come with mounts on the receiver and fitting rings and a scope should be an easy task and indeed the Ranch rifle ships with Ruger rings. Mini 14s are not renowned for accuracy, but 2" and 1" at 50yds is way off. Also mini 14s are known for barrel flip (which will alter POI), so boresighting should have been done as a 'close enough' without screwing with the mounts and then accurate sighting in should have been done with live rounds. It should never be the case that factory mounts and rings are 'altered' just on the basis of mediocre bore-sighting.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    A MAC 11? they are a spray and pray weapon, with pressed sheet metal sights, why would you want to even try and sight that in?
    Its a great plinker for rapid fire fun. I live in South Fla. and belong to private gun club where we all have a blast shooting evrything
    you can think of that is legal. This gun was purchased strictly for fun but half the fun is hitting what you aim at.

Make sure the scope is not bearing against the handguard. Make sure the scope ring clamps are fully seated in the half moon cuts before you tighten the ring nuts. It should be close to zero if it is mounted correctly. Possible to have a bent barrel, but that would be visible if you were to disassemble the rifle and look carefully down the barrel. I suspect poor mounting technique.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    Its a great plinker for rapid fire fun. I live in South Fla. and belong to private gun club where we all have a blast shooting evrything
    you can think of that is legal. This gun was purchased strictly for fun but half the fun is hitting what you aim at.
    well... thats one reason. Put a few soda cans up at 50 feet and have a betting pool going. Im sure you could make some money on that.
    Josh

well... thats one reason. Put a few soda cans up at 50 feet and have a betting pool going. Im sure you could make some money on that.
    Yeah but you can't make money with a bad barrle thats why I got a Colt AR 9mm and have put the "Slide Fire" on it.
    It is Sweet! BTW anybody want to buy a MAC-11?

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    Yeah but you can't make money with a bad barrle thats why I got a Colt AR 9mm and have put the "Slide Fire" on it.
    It is Sweet! BTW anybody want to buy a MAC-11?
    Im looking at getting a 9mm upper for my ar15 but im not sure what one to get, there are several different ways to go.
    i think it would be a fun and cheap shooting alt. to the 556/223.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Personally I would think the issue is whatever the 'gunsmith' (I use that term loosely as not all smiths are equal!) did to 'modify' the mounting. Ranch rifles come with mounts on the receiver and fitting rings and a scope should be an easy task and indeed the Ranch rifle ships with Ruger rings. Mini 14s are not renowned for accuracy, but 2" and 1" at 50yds is way off. Also mini 14s are known for barrel flip (which will alter POI), so boresighting should have been done as a 'close enough' without screwing with the mounts and then accurate sighting in should have been done with live rounds. It should never be the case that factory mounts and rings are 'altered' just on the basis of mediocre bore-sighting.
    The old mini ranch rifles didn't have the scope mouns like the newer ones do, they mounted off the side of the receiver
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Im looking at getting a 9mm upper for my ar15 but im not sure what one to get, there are several different ways to go.
    i think it would be a fun and cheap shooting alt. to the 556/223.
    The one I have is a "Law Enforcement" issue and made as a 9mm not an conversion. I don't have any experience
    with the conversion kits in 9mm but several guys at the range have the 22 conversion and they seem to work well.
    Cheaper yes! Its the differernece of spending $7.00 in 2.5 seconds verses about $13.00 for 223. Yeah I like to let that
    baby sing. Maybe start a thread to ask if anybody has one and how they did it. We have sort of drifted away from
    the mini 14 that started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    The old mini ranch rifles didn't have the scope mouns like the newer ones do, they mounted off the side of the receiver
    Older Mini 14s did not have the scope mounts, but one of the major selling points of the 'Ranch Rifle' introduction (in 1982) was the addition of the scope mounts milled into the receiver. I thought! A moot point as your rifle does not have the mounts, but I would suggest it is not a Ranch Rifle.

Before the smith monkeyed with the mount did he make sure the turrets were centered? Or at least close to being centered? He could have tweaked you mount to ake up for the fact that the turrets weren't zeroed out. Just a thought.

A Ranch rifle has integral ruger mounts on the top of the receiver. A mini-14 has the military type rear sight and no factory provision for a scope mount. Mini-14's require a poor side mount, which typically attaches to a replacement cover plate at the left side of the receiver, or a drilled and tapped mount, Leupold or Redfield, attached to the top of the reciever. Basically, a ranch rifle is not a mini-14.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."