Thread: 308 Winchester and 165gr bullets

Default 308 Winchester and 165gr bullets

I was out the range yesterday doing some load work with some 165 using 44.0 grs of RL-15. Decided to try different primers so 1st 5 used CCI 200, 2nd 5 CCI 250, 3rd group of 5 FED 215 and 4th groupd of 5 REM 9 1/2 M.
    1st ones shot were the ones primed with CCI 200, group was not the great, next up CCI 250 tightend up the group with oen flyer being me. then the FED 215 group was about the same as the CCI 250 then the REM 9/12 M, I had one flyer but the group did a vertical string on me. the avg velocity was 2,575 F.P.S which seems a bit slow to me. So does anyhow have a good load that they have chronographed that shoots real well. Thanks... The rifle is a rem 700 22 inch barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I was out the range yesterday doing some load work with some 165 using 44.0 grs of RL-15. Decided to try different primers so 1st 5 used CCI 200, 2nd 5 CCI 250, 3rd group of 5 FED 215 and 4th groupd of 5 REM 9 1/2 M.
    1st ones shot were the ones primed with CCI 200, group was not the great, next up CCI 250 tightend up the group with oen flyer being me. then the FED 215 group was about the same as the CCI 250 then the REM 9/12 M, I had one flyer but the group did a vertical string on me. the avg velocity was 2,575 F.P.S which seems a bit slow to me. So does anyhow have a good load that they have chronographed that shoots real well. Thanks... The rifle is a rem 700 22 inch barrel.
    The .308 works well with BlC-2
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I need to go get some of that I know it works real well in the 22-250. I also know 748 is another good one. The RL 15 works great in it but with a 165 at 2500 and change is a little slow that is 180gr territory. Just trying to achieve around 2700 with a 165 accubond.

Default 308, 165 gr

I have been using the folowing load in my BAR10:
    WW brass
    CCI200 primers
    44.4 grains of IMR 4320
    165 SBTHP
    It has been a while since I check the FPS on these but this load has taken caribou out to past 400yards.

I second the BLC-2
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I have been using the folowing load in my BAR10:
    WW brass
    CCI200 primers
    44.4 grains of IMR 4320
    165 SBTHP
    It has been a while since I check the FPS on these but this load has taken caribou out to past 400yards.
    Thanks I have 4320 will give a try thanks again...

I have had pretty good luck with: 165gr AB, 44.5gr RL-15, win neck sized brass, CCI LR primers, and COL of 2.805. This load is slow but steady in my 22in ruger. Average velocity is 2550 but max deviation is 11fps and standard is 4fps and shoots less than .5 if i do my part.

This load is listed on the hot side. Work up for safety.
    Good luck

Default 308 win

The 308 win has been one of my favorite rounds to reload for over 35 years alot data I have if your interested?
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by sneakboxer View Post
    I have had pretty good luck with: 165gr AB, 44.5gr RL-15, win neck sized brass, CCI LR primers, and COL of 2.805. This load is slow but steady in my 22in ruger. Average velocity is 2550 but max deviation is 11fps and standard is 4fps and shoots less than .5 if i do my part.

This load is listed on the hot side. Work up for safety.
    Good luck
    Thanks I was thinking my chrono was acting up. I'm running the same powder but using 44.0 gr of RL 15. So 2550-2575 is the avg with RL 15. This is the wife gun max shooting for her might be 200 yds. Unless she draws a sheep tag then I might have to go to a hot rod 25 cal for her. Don't have to worry about bears cause I will be packing bear medicine anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    The 308 win has been one of my favorite rounds to reload for over 35 years alot data I have if your interested?
    Yes very interested in your data..

Experimented with mr-2000 alliant with 200 grain accubonds. It's a very dense spherical powder and has a burn rate near reloader 15. It's made specifically for the 308 win, 338 federal, and 358 winchester. It gives about 100 fps more than reloader 15 with equal charge weights. No need to worry about pressure as it's very mild. Still observe with starting loads. So far, I've taken the 200 grain accubond to "almost max", and took the 200 grain partition to slightly compressed. I think I was able to fit a full 47 grains of powder under the 200 grain partition. I have no idea what the velocity is. Last time I checked, Ak Lanche got a solid 2,400fps out of the Accubond out in his kimber. This was many grains less than what I now loaded for the 200 grain partition which allows much more case capacity. I have no doubt that this 200 grainer will give a solid 2,500 and maybe a little more. I just now got a chronograph and when I finally get a spare chance, I'll post velocity. It would certainly be a powder worth a try for your 165 grain Accubond. The recoil was stout from a light weight gun.

Find a bullet with similar weight to your 165 grain accubond, and check out the number from alliant's load data:

It's amusing to see that Alliant's max 168 grain 308 load is pushing 2,775 fps with 48.5 grains of powder. I wonder what the heck my velocity is with 47 grains of powder pushing a 200 grain bullet?

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...0&bulletid=249

Thanks mainer I need to get some looks like a good powder to use for sure. What kind of groups are you getting with it? I'm not after 1/4 inch groups if I can get it to group 1 inch at a 100yds that will be great for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    It's amusing to see that Alliant's max 168 grain 308 load is pushing 2,775 fps with 48.5 grains of powder. I wonder what the heck my velocity is with 47 grains of powder pushing a 200 grain bullet?

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...0&bulletid=249
    You can call them and ask about their powders. Remember the listed loads are usually out of 26" barrels, I know Hodgdon uses 24" barrels, this'll affect velocity. Too, who know how many round have been down the pipe. Just cause the manual lists a high velocity, don't think you'll automatically be able to achieve that too.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    You can call them and ask about their powders. Remember the listed loads are usually out of 26" barrels, I know Hodgdon uses 24" barrels, this'll affect velocity. Too, who know how many round have been down the pipe. Just cause the manual lists a high velocity, don't think you'll automatically be able to achieve that too.
    Yes, velocity loss does happen between a 26" barrel and a 20" barrel. Even between a 22" barrel and my 20" barrel there was a difference of about 60 fps. I really need to try out my new chrony, it's the only way to know as I only take the velocity figures listed like a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Yes, velocity loss does happen between a 26" barrel and a 20" barrel. Even between a 22" barrel and my 20" barrel there was a difference of about 60 fps. I really need to try out my new chrony, it's the only way to know as I only take the velocity figures listed like a grain of salt.
    I didn't mean just 50fps or so. Some of those barrels show 200fps or more. People are always going on about the differences in manuals. Just cause a manual shows X velocity, doesn't mean you can do it before your firearm blows up in your face. Remember, by the time you see "pressure signs" you are already deep in the danger zone.