Thread: marlin 44 mag carbine ??????

Default marlin 44 mag carbine ??????

ok guys just so you know why i ask my daughter's boyfriend is getting out of the army and trying to sell one before they go back to Mo and i am thinking about it just to help
    but my problem is i can't think of really what it is good for what is your opinions ???
    thanks

Nice little rifle for the collection... Fun for plinking.... Good for deer hunting...
    Umm.. that's all I got lol

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

They make a great bait station gun for one. And they are actuly powerful enough for any Alaskan big game even though it wouldn't be my first choice for some species every one will fall to a well placed 44. There has even been African elephants take with 44 handguns and you get a good increase in velocity with the rifle. If you handload they are a hoot to take to the range with light loads and plink with, if you don't handload the 44 mag or special would be a great cartridge to learn with. I would be hard press to think of a handier walking around gun.
    PS don't tell your son inlaw any of what I said, the price might go up or he might decide it would make a dandy Missouri deer gun .

I've never fired the Marlin 44 mag carbine which I believe is a lever action, but I LOVE my Ruger 44 Magnum Carbine. I've had mine since the 8th Grade and I wouldn't take a 1000 bucks for it, especially since its a Bi-Centenial Edition. I've killed lots of deer, small game and a Coyote that got a little too close for comfort when I was kid. One of my relatives took a moose with it as well. Its a perfect 100 yard or closer brush gun IMO.

Happy, I have one of those and you'd love it. It is great to plink with and I would not hesitate to do like the kid said and hunt a black bear from a station. I have even considered taking it on my caribou hunt and try to get in real close and I wouldn't hesitate to place a good shot at 100 yards on a bou. I shoot cast and jacketed bullets and with my reloads have no problem going out and shootin a bunch at a time. They make a great camp gun and they hold 10 in the tube. You should get out to the range with it, it is a fun gun. Not that I ever found one that wasn't as long as it was pointed the right way.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but this could be useful info for thehappyalaskan...

Does anyone know if this particular rifle could shoot the hot loads such as Buffalo Bore 305 grain?

That'd definitely open up hunting options for him..

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but this could be useful info for thehappyalaskan...

Does anyone know if this particular rifle could shoot the hot loads such as Buffalo Bore 305 grain?

That'd definitely open up hunting options for him..

-akiceman25
    I would think he could. I shoot them out of my Ruger Carbine and I have some 320 Grain Lead Alloy bullets I've had since 1985 when an a guy in Delta Jct by the name of Roy Cheney ( I think thats how he spelled his last name) loaded them hot for me. Still have about 80 rounds and they pack a mean punch.

The main problem I hear with the Marlin.44 is that it has a slower rate of twist than any other. So, it will work fine with the bullets up to about the 240gr ones that are fairly fast, but supposedly won't adequately stabilize the heavier bullets. There is a lengthy discussion of this in one of the .44 ammo sections on the Buffalo Bore website. My dad killed a javelina with one recently, but his shoots too high even with the rear sight bottomed out.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Probably a good Bar Protection gun. And, they're fun to shoot.

There should be quite a gain in velocity, over a handgun, due to longer barrel length.

Only problem I've heard about is the twist, as MH mentioned. Twist may be 1-38.

Also, if the heavy bullet OAL is such that there would be feeding issues. ?? I understand that OAL can be issue with some of the LAs. ??

Just plan on using normal weight/length bullets, in case.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

True statement on the heavy bullets. I have real good results with the Speer 240gn Deep Curl over 23gns of H110 and the 265gn Beartooth cast bullet over 20gnsof H110. I tried up to 275 grain bullets and things started to get pretty spread out. Some say that if it is a microgroove barrel it won't shoot cast bullets, but you can get over size diameters(up to .432)and they shoot fine. I make sure I mark any Rifle loads too hot for a revolver or with oversize bullets as rifle only to be safe. The white boxWinchesters shoot just dandy and most people that don't reload seem togravitate toward those. It's a .44 cal lever action rifle and my opinion is to not over think it and go have fun with it. Check out the attached web link below.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php?board=32.0

Only suggestion I'll offer is to make room on your loading bench for a progressive. They're so much fun to shoot, they're hard on your ammo budget and cost you a lot of hours at the bench. Never tried heavy bullets in mine because of the reports, but I'm plum happy with any 240 I've ever pushed out the muzzle. I'd have more faith in it for bear protection than any handgun ever built, not only for the improved ballistics, but also for the ease of hitting what you aim at quickly and often. I figure 6 shots on target are worth more than two in the bushes any day.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Never tried heavy bullets in mine because of the reports, but I'm plum happy with any 240 I've ever pushed out the muzzle. I'd have more faith in it for bear protection than any handgun ever built, not only for the improved ballistics, but also for the ease of hitting what you aim at quickly and often. I figure 6 shots on target are worth more than two in the bushes any day.
    That maketh MUCH sense to me.

"Quickly and often" is a nice turn of phrase.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I would think it would work fine for most state side timber hunting for deer, hogs and black bear, heck, it wold kill about any thing under a hundred yards with the right bullet. I have a Mod. 94 Win. .44 that my wife carries when were out and she is berry picking. I have it loaded with 280 grain hard cast LBT's I got from Veral Smith many years ago. I did shoot one coyote behind the shoulder with it about 15 years ago, I think the bullet was a 240 grain Speer soft nose. I also think they are just fine to defend ones "Castle" with and would prefer it to any hand gun for bear protection.

ok guys thanks for the info and i know it will do most anything when placement is correct
    and even though i don't i have thought it might be an easy gun to find someone to reload cheaper
    so that was pretty much what i had thought so now if he doesn't get it sold i will probably
    have something new to play with
    thanks
    Larry