Thread: Deals on Big and Buddy heaters

Default Deals on Big and Buddy heaters

3 bears on palmer-wasilla and trunk roads has a few reconditioned big buddy's (two bottle) and buddy (one bottle) heaters. They come with a one year warranty. Big buddy is $110 and buddy is $60

If they are out Cabelas has them on for $80 and $50 right now.

I had a little Buddy last year and it worked fine except it was hard to start below -10. Broke the heat tile and emailed the company for help. They directed me to their website where I downloaded the owners manual and schematics. Had to take the entire heater apart to replace heat tile. Got it replaced and then was unable to put heater back together. Took it to a shop in Wasilla who was listed as a repair dealer. He was also unable to get it back together and told me that they are a nightmare to work on if something needs replacing. Just a word of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuch View Post
    I had a little Buddy last year and it worked fine except it was hard to start below -10. Broke the heat tile and emailed the company for help. They directed me to their website where I downloaded the owners manual and schematics. Had to take the entire heater apart to replace heat tile. Got it replaced and then was unable to put heater back together. Took it to a shop in Wasilla who was listed as a repair dealer. He was also unable to get it back together and told me that they are a nightmare to work on if something needs replacing. Just a word of caution.
    Had the same problem, finally got pissed and threw it across the lake and watched it shatter into a hundred pieces. Very satisfying.

i have a buddy that wont sta running?
    startup but wont stay on

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Brown View Post
    i have a buddy that wont sta running?
    startup but wont stay on
    Id say bad thermo coupler

even if it dont have 5 hours of use out of it? bought it in MO. to have for a power outage and never used it brought it up here in the move tried it out b4 going ice fishing couldnt keep it running

You need to define "can't keep it running". Will the pilot light stay lit after holding down the starter for 30 seconds? Or does the pilot light go out when you release the button? If that's the case, then it would be a bad thermocoupler. If the pilot stays lit and you can get the unit fired up, but it then shuts off, you have an issue with the tilt shut-off... or you're picking it up. Any movement or bump will cause it to shut off.

I'm perfectly happy with my little buddy heater. Never had a problem with it and it keeps the Quickfish nice-n-toasty... as long as you don't have it set down on the ice.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    You need to define "can't keep it running". Will the pilot light stay lit after holding down the starter for 30 seconds? Or does the pilot light go out when you release the button? If that's the case, then it would be a bad thermocoupler. If the pilot stays lit and you can get the unit fired up, but it then shuts off, you have an issue with the tilt shut-off... or you're picking it up. Any movement or bump will cause it to shut off.

I'm perfectly happy with my little buddy heater. Never had a problem with it and it keeps the Quickfish nice-n-toasty... as long as you don't have it set down on the ice.
    well last night i cleaned the piliot light hole with a qtip alcohol swab its worked fine in my apt for an hour cooked us out so gonna try in my quickfish fingers crossed

Keeping the pilot clear is like changing furnace filters, just a little maintenance every once in a while is all you should need. I have the MH9BX model and haven't had any problems.

What a piece of junk! I brought my lil buddy out to this past weekend and after running for about an hour in just stopped. Was not out of fuel and I had it sitting on a milk crate off the ice. It sat for about 20 minutes then when I fired it up it worked again for about 15 minutes and shut off. Needles to say that heater impacted the ice pretty hard with a few choice words. I only used that heater about six times last year. For me it's the tank top from now on.

Nice. So a piece of mechanical equipment that requires preventative maintenance, which apparently didn't get performed, is a "piece of junk".

Makes me wonder how much PM time some people put into all the other gear, like the snowmachine, power auger, fishing reels & rods, and even the truck that gets you to the lake.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Pmcs

I take very good care of my gear and it's in pristene condition and usually have a backup. But C'mon man that heater was basically brand new. Only about five bottles ran through it. Don't you think it's kind of strange that there are so many refurbished buddy heaters for sale? Read the reviews for the heater on Cabela's there are a lot of folks that had the same issue. I wish I did before the purchase. Maybe it's just a lemon?

Quote Originally Posted by ssminnow View Post
    Had the same problem, finally got pissed and threw it across the lake and watched it shatter into a hundred pieces. Very satisfying.
    AMEN to that!

Here's the deal you'll get when you buy one of those heaters:

That low oxygen shutoff device will fail, they are never reliable

You can't safely sleep with it running. I don't care how many people do, and if you admit to having done so, you're quite stupid.

Every part in that heater is brittle, ready to fail after that long snow machine trip

At 30 below zero, good luck getting it to start.

The low setting is usually too much heat for most portable ice houses.

They aren't fuel efficient

If you want a decent heater, get two coleman catalytic heaters. They will push out 6,000 BTU's with the two, and are way easier on fuel. The very nature of the catalytic element is relatively safe as a back up heater, but not as a primary heat source. The coleman cats are extremely tough.

Save yourself a headache...get a Tank Top. various makes and models out there...

Durable, reliable, easy to use, and hot. mine has an adjustable heat control knob.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    I take very good care of my gear and it's in pristene condition and usually have a backup. But C'mon man that heater was basically brand new. Only about five bottles ran through it. Don't you think it's kind of strange that there are so many refurbished buddy heaters for sale? Read the reviews for the heater on Cabela's there are a lot of folks that had the same issue. I wish I did before the purchase. Maybe it's just a lemon?
    I can vouch for Alcanron, the guy keeps things crazy clean and conducts great PM! Hes got 2 of everything, if anything over-prepared.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I agree with Jedi... I had a buddy heater and ran into the same problems of it always shutting off and it always taking forever to get back running. I got a tank top heater now and will never go back. I fish in a QF6 and its like a sauna in there!

I have the big buddy heater and it works fine when it is warm out, say zero and above. I have the double tank top that I use when it gets below zero and I can run both elements or just one. I have had my big buddy shut off as a result of the low oxygen sensor. I simple open the doors on the ice hut and let in some fresh air and it fires back up. The big buddy heaters are tempermental and do seem to have a mind of their own at times. However, when in doubt, just bring the tank top heater and you will be good to go. Never had any problems with them, even at -20.