Thread: What bullets?

Default What bullets?

Started looking for some ammo today after forgetting to look at Sportsmans before leaving town. My wife is shooting 100 grain bullets in her .243 win and I was hoping to find something bigger. I was told at Boondocks there may be some larger bullets that I could hand load but probably not factory. Is this true?
    I also am curious what round would be best in a .45 colt vs halibut. No there isn't an optional gun to use. Thanks for any help.

You might find a Sierra 107gr to handload. I have an old box...not sure if they are still made. BUT, I'd stick with a good 100gr. That is as good as you'll get out of a 243 Win. What are you shooting with your 243? If it is Sitka deer, I'd go with the Nosler Ballistic Tip hunting. But for bigger critters the Partition or other premium bullets are probably in order. One thing I found in my 6MM is that I wasn't getting enough expansion for a "tip-em-over" kill on whitetails with Core-Loks at 50-100yds, the deer would go 200yds or better before stopping. Hence I'd look for the more expansive bullets for the lighter game. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Started looking for some ammo today after forgetting to look at Sportsmans before leaving town. My wife is shooting 100 grain bullets in her .243 win and I was hoping to find something bigger. I was told at Boondocks there may be some larger bullets that I could hand load but probably not factory. Is this true?
    I also am curious what round would be best in a .45 colt vs halibut. No there isn't an optional gun to use. Thanks for any help.
    100-105 is about as heavy as you can go in 6mm. If you want more performance go with premium bullets.

Cowboy loads would probably be best for a but. You don't need high velocity or expansion to kill a halibut, you just need some shock. Flat points make shock. SWC's would be even better but you'd probably end up paying 2-3 times as much to find those loaded. Just pull the trigger a couple more times.

Default 243

Never used a 243 for anything but deer and antelope, but during my first year hunting with it I found myself tracking way TOO many chest shot animals. I ask a friend of mine who also hunted with a 243 how to avoid this time consuming task ( he never had to track animals, it seemed). His answer, use Federals premium 75gr BTHP. I bought a box and tried them (extremely accurate), I have since killed 40-50 deer and 2 antelope and none have moved over 10 steps. Just my experience with a 243; Take it with a grain of salt.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

What were you shooting before the Federal premium 75gr BTHP?

Default 243

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    What were you shooting before the Federal premium 75gr BTHP?
    Before that I shot Reminigton 100 grn. Core-Lokt. I now load my own so I'm not reliant on ammo companies changing load offerings.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

In regards to your 243, what are you going to be shooting that you need bigger bullets. Winchester designed that round to be a combo varmint/deer rifle(at most). This time of year in Alaska most guys are looking at spring bear hunts. Is this what you are planning on doing with it? If it is consider that a bear is not a fox or a deer! Most experienced bear hunters and guides would steer you in another direction if your planning to use a 243 for a spring bear hunt. I would suggest you buy your wife a 7-08 or a 270 and keep the 243 for what it was designed for.

Thumbs up Barnes TSX

A barnes TSX are great in the 243 WIN......very good on game!
    Alaska