Thread: Pike fishing on the Tanana?

Thumbs up Pike fishing on the Tanana?

Not asking for you're honey hole, just is their any good pike fishing off the Tannana? specifically from Nennana down river.
    Thanks
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

There's okay pike fishing along the side sloughs and some of the lakes accessible from the river either by boat or walking. Every tea and green colored slough will hold pike.

I think the best pike fishing is off the Yukon. The fish I've caught there have been bigger and seem more plentiful.
    Now what ?

Yukon is good, but you can also go to Minto flats! theres some monster pike in there. We were slaying'em there last year, that place is Pike haven!..................K

Thumbs up Minto flats

Were you accessing by boat or airplane?
    Thanks for the Ideas.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

And, where are the "flats" exactly, please? I've looked at Google Earth quite a few times trying to guess where they would be, and I think I found them, but I am not sure.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Ripface,

If you can Google Earth Murphy Dome, the wide valley to the north is the flats. They basically lay between the high ground on the south side where Murphy Dome sits and roughly the Elliot Highway to the north.

You can access Minto Flats on the Chatanika River. The Tolovana runs through, but I don't think you can get a boat on it. Of course you can get access to it by driving to Minto too, but I'm not sure what kind of hoops you'd have to jump through to get to the lakes since most of the land in that area is tribal.

The easiest way to get into the flats would be to launch a boat from Manley and run upriver to the Chatanika.
    Now what ?

Or you can put in at Nenana, go downriver to Swanneck Slough and into the Flats that way. I've used the Murphy Dome access most, but went in from Minto once before I had the Jet unit on the boat...no problems with a prop from that end.

Default lower Tanana

What about the Tanana below Manley?
    Henry Ford

Minto had some really big pike but because easy access creates over fishing they are not as common any more. There are some areas with good pike and shefish fishing below Manley but they do not have a real easy acccess. Manley slough has pike in it as well.
    Minto flats trophy:

You could also launch a boat from the village of Minto. We did it a couple times last summer with no problems.

Sep,

Does Raven's trophy look familiar? I can dig up a similar photo from a Minto excursion.....

Default Minto Flats

Minto flats pike fishing last year, was a fly in with Rick Gold, he provides everything, cabins, stove, fuel and bottled drinking water, excellent operation, four of us did an overnighter and probably caught close to 50 fish a piece. He is right off of Chena Pumphouse Rd. PM me your email and I'll send you pictures...K

Oh yeah I forgot, he also provides the boats too, (1 boat for every two persons) I'm sure alot of people know about this operation in and around the Fairbanks area...K

One last thought, if you decide to go to Minto, take a 7-9 wT Fly rod and some pike flies, I regretted not taking mine! those pike will hit anything off the surface, lots of weeds too I used mostly surface plugs, theres big pike ...I have pictures........K.