Thread: What 1 powder for both 30-06 and 300 WSM reloading?

Default What 1 powder for both 30-06 and 300 WSM reloading?

I'm new to reloading and was wanting to start reloading for both my Winchester modle 70 30-06 and model 70 300 WSM. Both have 1-10" twist barrels, standard contour. I'll be shooting 180 gr nosler silvertips and 185 Berger hunting VLD's out of them. I have bullets, brass, dies and primers, I'm just wanting some info for powder. Prefer to get a good powder that would work on both chamberings to minimize buying various powders etc. Any info would be great, so far I've seen Reloaders-17 seems to be talked about between both chamberings.
    Thanks Billy
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

I love Varget in 30-06 and will start testing it in the 300 WBY mag. when I get some time. Get yourself a couple reloading manuels to start. Sportsmans warehouse sells caliber specific manuels also that I really like.

I would try IMR 4350

With the caliber and bullet weights your looking at I would try RL-19 (my first choice), IMR-4831, H-4831 in addition to IMR 4350 swapdonkey suggested. I used only Hodgdon and IMR powders for years, but recently have been using Alliant Reloader powders with good results. I've tried the new RL-17 in a few calibers without any great success, I did get higher velocities but accuracy wasn't what I expected. I haven't tried RL-17 in the 300 WSM so I can't comment there, but I would want to see how it did with the heavier, 180 to 200 grain, bullets.
    Woody

I'd make a stop at RL-17 first thing.

I get excellent results in the .300WSM with it and my limited loads with the '06 looks promising. There should be many powders that have published data for both rounds. Thinking the new Superperformance, RL19 and 4350 as well right off the top of my head.

RL 19 or IMR 4350 for both suggest using good 165 TSX Barnes in both rifles.......
    Alaska

H 4350 temp insensitive

Ended up buying some H 4350. Gonna do some reloading for the first time this weekend with a couple experienced guys. Can't wait to see how the Berger's and Nosler silvertips perform.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.