Thread: Sandhill cranes

Default Sandhill cranes

Just saw two fly over the house. I didn't know they were even on Kodiak. How do you go about hunting them?

Just like any other bird. Find out where they like to live and kill them Sandhills generally like grasslands (no water needed) and Kodiak is full of that. They are very vocal and you can usually find them that way. Bring a good set of binos to glass with. They are delicious. Best game bird in Alaska. I just wish I was able to get them around me on a more regular basis.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

They will also come in to decoys.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

they've been long gone around here, but they are always in the fields in point mackenzie, we had some in our fields every year too.

I noticed that the liked the edges, we have in one field, a spot that we left a couple birch trees and a few spruce, but took all the brush out of but left enought trees and, in one section, young saplings, and bruse for the animals to get out of the weather. we planted grass around hte stumps and it got really tall where we burned the brush piles....well they LOVED that.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.