Thread: great morning for a walk in Portage however no ducks found.

Default great morning for a walk in Portage however no ducks found.

Well I thought I would give it one last try this morning, as last Sat was pleasently sucessful. If the driving conditions weren't so poor during the week I would have taken a mental health day & tried sooner, so I drove down to portage early this morning with a back pack, wood spliter /ax & had a stash of decoys still in the brush. Hiked in for an hour breaking a trail in 6"+ of soft snow & every few steps breaking through some unseen ice below. Arrived at the decoys after only falling a couple times & it was a great cloudless sky & I could see for ever. Unfortunately as far as I could see was snow & ice with nothing flying & with the only water spots being far away from any cover. I walked out on the ice until I uxexpectedly fell into a waist deep hole crawled out & then tried to cut a bigger hole with ax/splitter. Unfortunately after 10 minutes I was sweating profusely & only had about a 4x4 hole full of slush opened, taking a spray to the face on about every other swing. It just wasn't to be today. So 5 minutes after legal shooting I loaded up eveything & proceeded my hour plus walk out, tired, & soaked through. It was & beautiful day out, & quiet as could be. I was hoping it would be one of those mornings where the northerns pile in non stop as we all dream about. Had to try, but I think at least this area is done until next year.
    Good luck to anyone still trying.

Cool you tried. Thanks for the report.

Banned

Sounds like you were Beaver trapping! all you needed was a chainsaw to cut ice.