Thread: Propaganda and Mis-information

Default Propaganda and Mis-information

Found this on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h54h...related&search= while looking at a link shared on the fishing thread about a bear on the Kenai. If I caught this right the guy is complaining about hunting at the sanctuary when that is not the proposal and the information that is sited has occurred before the hunt has a possibility to take place. Mis-information just chaps me the wrong way.

I am not saying that there is a decline in the bears at McNeal or that the legal hunts in the area haven't been as successful as was stated. But to make the association that hunts will be at that site and while the bears are there is just wrong. The season doesn't take place during the heavy concentration of bears in any drainage here in Bristol Bay that I am aware of...

Just thought I should share.

George

They will implode..

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    .....If I caught this right the guy is complaining about hunting at the sanctuary when that is not the proposal and the information that is sited has occurred before the hunt has a possibility to take place. Mis-information just chaps me the wrong way.....
    Liars.

The animal rights kooks and many environmentalists live on lies.

And the mass media let them get away with it, and the majority of the public suck it right up.

Thumbs up

So how soon do you think former state employee Larry Aumiller will be asking for his job back? If he has been sincere in his "protests", he will surely be wanting to return to the job he claims to love.

Thumbs up

Oh, and I will be putting in for McNeil bear viewing permits from now on.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    So how soon do you think former state employee Larry Aumiller will be asking for his job back? If he has been sincere in his "protests", he will surely be wanting to return to the job he claims to love.
    Everybody needs to retire eventually.

Oh, and I will be putting in for McNeil bear viewing permits from now on.
    Can McNeil permits be transferred? Sold? Scalped?

If so, I'll apply, too..................

Thumbs up

Not sure Mark, but they can be used. I would hope they would be on equal footing as the permits the anti-bear hunters put in for, recieved and did'nt use!!

Default mis info

Misinformation goes both ways. Go to the Alaska Moose Federation site.

http://www.growmoremoose.org/eberhard.asp

Now according to them Alaska hunters average about 8,000 moose taken a year which they claim is less than 3% of the moose killed each year. Then they claim that predators are responsible for 87% (they don't list the number each species of predator is responsible for or list their source of this information) of the kills and the remaining 10% die of natural causes, which I'm guessing includes autos and trains because they aren't listed anywhere else. Mighty scary information if you have little or no math skills and you were just born this morning and fell off the turnip boat this afternoon and were curious about why hunters aren't killing more moose. It might even make you think we have to kill all those nasty predators off to make things better. Especially if you were a little gullible.

But now, lets do the math. First, divide 87 by 3 and you'll find that they are claiming that predators take 29 times the number of moose than hunters do. So if we multiply 8,000 by 29 we get 187,000 moose being taken each year by predators. Confused yet? well when we multiply 8,000 by 3.3 and add in 26,000 more killed by "natural causes" we get a total annual moose kill of 221,000 moose. Maybe you're starting to see a trend.

Here's some more math..... From all my searches online, I've seen estimates of Alaska's moose population from between 120,000 and 180,000. So in the interest of being fair, I'll be generous and go with the high number of 180,000. I'll be even more generous and say that these are adult animals and that in the spring another 100,000 are born to these 180,000 adults. So for a short time, there are 280,000 moose in the state. Now if you take that total moose kill per year of 221,000 and subtract it from 280,000, you're left with 59,000 moose. Boy, the next year hunting moose must have been shut down all over the state.....it's a disaster! Even if those 59,000 moose managed to have 41,000 babies (lots of twins!) the next spring that would only leave 100,000 moose after birthing was over. And even if you took out the 8,000 killed by hunters each year and the 26,000 killed by "natural causes", the 187,000 taken by predators EACH YEAR would wipe the whole moose population out the second year. In fact the predators would be short 87,000 and they would all be starving to death!

WOW! no wonder we need predator control. I never knew just how bad it was....... Except it isn't that bad. These numbers mean nothing because they are impossible. The moose population has probably ranged in the 120,000 to 180,000 for many many years.

The predators aren't killing near the numbers this site claims. They can't be or the moose would already be wiped out. That was anecdotal evidence put in the article to convince people of the need for predator control. They are careful not to mention predator control on the site. I'm guessing to get as large a base of supporters as possible. But the implicit message is there. "Almost 87% are killed by predators" Then a story about "Big Boy" who was "possibly killed by wolves". and the statement that moose "deserve to be protected" . I have little doubt about the way they lean.

Default last time I checked

I read the page to be honest I figured you read it wrong, but that seems to be what they claim. Also Last time i checked Alaska was a bit more than two hundred miles east to west

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Misinformation goes both ways......
    Worse, it actually tends to go in all ways.

The intensity tends to increase as more is perpetrated. The other "sides" fight fire with fire.

Anyone out there really want to limit it to just one side?