Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weapons lube 4 semi's

Default weapons lube 4 semi's

I kinda like syn mobil 1 was told it wont thicken up and was recommeded to me from a 20 year M.P. that works-ed as pipeline guard, but my local smith likes dry lube what do you like best and why
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I've always used wd40 on all of mine, haven't had anytroubles in the last 40 yrs in Alaska...

I've used CLP (good all around and price is right), RIG (a little goes a long ways), M Pro 7 also good all around and Tetra Blue. CLP gets used the most but each one I listed has certain characteristics to it that I like.

Next time I am in Anchorage, I'll bring a bottle of my gun oil/cleaner out for you to try.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Next time I am in Anchorage, I'll bring a bottle of my gun oil/cleaner out for you to try.
    please do I'd be happy to try something different to see how it works.
    Μολών λαβέ

I use Break Free CLP on EVERYTHING(bolt, revolver, and semi), except for my Garands which get RIG or Plastilube. I will note that I am not impressed with the cleaning ability of the new Safariland branded Break Free, but I don't buy it to clean, just to lube.

I use whatever's laying around, however, SLiP2000 has been recommended to me by more than one "serious" shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    I use whatever's laying around, however, SLiP2000 has been recommended to me by more than one "serious" shooter.
    SLiP2000 is one of the best I have found. You really notice a difference in how the slide/bolt feel. I was always one of the 'whatever I have will do' sorts, but now I always use this stuff. The externals always get a good coat of WD40 though.

I am still using Lubriplate and probably will until something better comes along.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I am suprised to hear that people are using WD-40. It's always been said that a gun will rust with WD. I have used breakfree for years and love it. When we go duck hunting we will pour mixed outboard fuel on our guns if its been raining a alot. The gas evaporates and leaves the oil. Works prety good actually.

Have you tried BullFrog lube for weapon's lubing and cleaning .Google there name and read the reviews on them

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I sprayed WD-40 into the innards of my Ruger Bearcat.

Later, it gummed up the works. Liked to never got it all out. Not sure I did, reely.

I have some of Nitromans Tuff Gun Oils, and have had no problems with them.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I use most any regular oil ( not penatrating oil) unless is going to get cold. Below about 10 degrees I either use ATF or completely degreased if really cold. like -20 or colder. When it's below 0 rust is a no worry and when hunting I won't be shooting enough to cause any problem with wear.

will synthetic thicken in the cold?
    Μολών λαβέ

Most any oil will thicken when it gets cold. It's just that some get a lot thicker than others. Synthetic tends to stay fairly thin.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I unnerstan that Nitroman's Tuff Gun Oils are for cold weather, which is one of the reasons I got it. However, I don't like to hunt in cold weather.

Oh Sheet! I gotta clear the driveway AGAIN.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have been using Tetra Gun Oil for many years, but, technology marches on and I am all for improvements. I recently picked up some M-Pro 7 LPX Gun Oil. The reviews I read on it were good and claim it was made for law enforcement and military fire arms. I put some on the bolt of my Marlin 1895, a couple of Mod. 70's and a few places on my 1911. They seem to be "slicker" then they were before. We are also trying it on some Glock pistols and I will see how my AR does with it. It is supposed to not evaporate, not gum up, make weapons easier to clean, etc. and according to the label it is good to -85 F and 462 F. They also claim it works as a cleaner, but recommend their M Pro 7 gun cleaner for deep cleaning. Any way, like most sale items the manufacturer's make some pretty impressive claims for it. When we have a real cold spell I will put the AR out side for the night and I plan on putting the 1911 in the freezer, I will see if it gums up.

I've never ever had any issues with Break-Free in cold weather. I've been out wolf hunting on a sno-go at -35 F with snow caked on my rifle from being slung across my back and it still chattered away when I snapped the safety off and squeezed the trigger.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I am still using Lubriplate and probably will until something better comes along.
    I think you'll be using it for a looong time, as it's probably one of the very best. Breakfree CLP is excellent and that's what Les Baer recommends for his pistols and Jardine's Extreme works OK - haven't tried Jardine's in -35F but I think it'll perform as expected.

Missed this thread the first go-round and just wanted to insert the missing response to the OP's original post... never, ever use Mobile1 motor oil on your guns!!! We had some jackwagon recommend that at work and without any additional research they lubed up a dozen AR-15's with that crap at the range. Within 50 rounds, every gun started having problems. Turns out that oil turns into a turd inside the gun. Might as well lube it with cook inlet mud. Took considerable work to get all that Mobil1 junk out of those guns so they'd start shooting right again.

We now use M-Pro and it seems to work great. I personally use Tetra on everything at my house and have for years. I think I like the Tetra a little more than the M-Pro, but both are great products.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast