Thread: Sheep kicking other sheep, what's this world coming to?

Default Sheep kicking other sheep, what's this world coming to?

Drove to Prudhoe yesterday from Fairbanks and enjoyed a little sheep scenery in Atigun Pass. I took some video of some juvenile rams about 20 yards off the road. Interesting seeing how they interact sometimes. Is that considered a "sheep shot"?

I took a big bull along the way as well. Lots of caribou moving through the pass. The bulls antlers both flew off when he rolled down the side of the mountain. Pretty interesting to watch them go flying through the air when he hit the ground.

Gotta love watching critters
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Good video. A dominant ram will sometimes mount a subordinate as a dominance gesture. Looks like that was about to happen.

great filming...nice looking sheep

Default Sheep

Cool watching sheep. Hate to say it but they sure looked gay. Cuddling up nuzzling each othr. If that's dominance behavior I would hate to see real affection..... I found a set of pick ups along the haul road just that size. Pretty small. I found a Curl+ also but rotten. A lotta really small sheep up there!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Thanks for sharing that great video. Chances like that don't come often. What a bully!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I agree with Chisana, looks to me like dominance behavior . They sure are healthy looking animals, thanks for sharing the video and congratulations on scoring a bull. Any photos ?

I took quite a few photo's of the trip. Here are several. Like I said before, the bulls antlers popped off when he rolled down the mountain, so I didn't get any good field photo's. He's my second largest bull and the pictures don't really do him justice. The right antler was quite a bit smaller, but overall he was a huge bull.

Yukon River

Bad Day...

Full Curl???

I've observed Rock Mt. bighorns displaying this same behavior. I recall one time watching a mixed group of rams and ewes interacting. One smaller ram showed too much interest in a ewe and the dominant ram walked behind him and provided a swift kick between the legs. I could hear the resulting "thwack" from 100 yards away and it was more than enough to make me cringe. They're tough critters but I have to think that still hurts like nothing else

Great video. Thanks for sharing it.
    During a sheep hunt in the Wood River/Copper Creek area several years ago, we witnessed some interesting behavior by two rams. While glassing across a steep ravine we located a nice full curl ram high up on a flat shale outcropping. He was obviously acting as the lookout for several sheep that were resting in the shade on the mountain side some distance below him. Due to the steep terrain and distance, we weren't able to make a stalk on him so we just continued to observe them. After observing them for about 20 minutes, the lookout ram got up and quickly worked his way down to the sheep below. He walked up to a young ram that was laying down and kicked it in the side. The young ram immediately got up and climbed his way to the lookout perch. He obviously knew what to do and when to do it when the big ram kicked him. I only wish I could have got it on video. It would have been classic.