Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hydronics ROCKS!!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,969

    Default Hydronics ROCKS!!

    I'm trying to save LuJon from a "hijack" charge. This may not belong in this forum but the idea came from the trailer build thread....soo..

    I have a dedicated boiler in my shop (36'x60') in Idaho and a water heater for the shop bathroom. The cost has run about $100 per month in propane for the 8 months a year I run it. It is a 3 zone and I just run the two outside zones and not the center zone. I keep the shop at 60 degrees which is just about right for tee shirt working. I do wish my reloading room was a little warmer because it tends to be a place where I sit and don't really move about much. I think an electric heater will solve that problem. NOt sure why the picture is laying down.

    Second shot is the reloading room under construction. Hydronic system is between the reloading room on the left and the bathroom on the right.

    If you are building a shop from scratch or a house for that matter hydronics is certainly a wonderful way to heat. My house also has hydronic heat and I wouldn't go any other way.





  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    One more shot of the inside of the reloading room (12' x 20') with things under construction. Shelves will be added under the benches and above. SHelving on the walls seems to work better than cabinets. The room is sealed and I keep the door closed so there is very little dust. Shelves allow me to stand back and look and find things easier than opening doors of cabinets. I've also included a gun cleaning area to the left side of the photo. Lathe, mill, compressor, welding and other equipment is outside the room so no dirt gets in there with the reloading gear. I also have room for a cot in case I want to take a nap and don't feel like walking back to the house. My wife is concerned I will put in cooking facilities and she will never see me....I told her she can come visit anytime!!



  3. #3

    Default

    Nice Job...
    But, I can tell you right now, it is WAY too small. You will need twice that amount of room.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member ironartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    yeah very nice
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Couldn't agree more. I took a few years to convert my whole house from electric baseboard (yuck) to radiant floor. It's a great way to go. Now I'm adding more insulation. Should have done it the other way around (insulation first) but hydronic heat works like a charm.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    I hate in floor heating; my feet get too hot. I also hate ceiling heat; oppressive to the top of my bald head. To each his own though.

    The office area where I work uses in floor heating, with the hot water tubes in the concrete slab. Through some faulty foundation work we ended up with a couple cracks that caused leaks, so we had to shut off some of the heating loops. Fortunately one of those was under my office.

    Really like the shop though. That would be very helpful.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Nice Job...
    But, I can tell you right now, it is WAY too small. You will need twice that amount of room.
    I'm downsizing in my old age....everything except my waist is half the size I have now....54 calibers I load for now to about 25....we'll see how long that lasts so you may be right.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •