Thread: any thoughts on the older hondas

Default any thoughts on the older hondas

I got a 2004 honda foreman 450 s and it has been bullet proof for me, I have taken pretty good care of it but it has seen some use and abuse, it has almost 4000 miles on it it starts right up and the only thing i need to replace on it is the exhaust and im wanting new plastic, i got itp mud lites on it for tires and just wondering if anybody else has had as good as luck as i have had with similar hondas.

Just go out to a village and see what they mostly ride. 4,000 miles a year is what some of them see.

Look at how many three wheelers are still out there. I had an '83 Big Red that was absolutely maintenance free except the fuel tank rusted through at a seam. Replaced it with a plastic tank and sold the machine to a neighbor for his kids to use. It's still going strong after 28 years of regular use and parking outdoors under a tarp.

FWIW, I've had good luck with my 1980 Honda motorcycle that still gets around good with just a little maintenance on the wearing parts over the years.

-hiker

(P.S. - I did not add the link - Big Brother did)

Hard to beat a Honda..... 02' with 4200 miles,tough miles....... but it never let's me down.

Just bought this one 2 days ago..... hope it does right by me as well,time will tell. Regardless the Honda stays!

I have a 97 Honda Foreman 400 with about the same number of miles (~4,000) and it's not missed a beat since new. Starts up in 1 - 2 seconds on the start button and runs great. Other than I rebuilt the carb once (didn't really need re-building, but was a project of mine) only other thing has been new tires as well as regular fluid and filter changes. Not even brakes have been needed, probably due to the low granny gear.

My hunting partner has twin 97' Foreman 400's that are great problem free machines. I will say he bought a 96' 400 new and the crankcase breather was a poor design and he sucked up water on a crossing when the breather tube came off on the case with a couple hundred miles on a hunt and had to have Honda rebuild the motor. After which he traded it in for a new 97' with a new breather design setup with no problems since..... he also routed it to his airbox as my 02' Foreman is stock. Can't beat a Honda......

Default nice...

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    Hard to beat a Honda..... 02' with 4200 miles,tough miles....... but it never let's me down.

Just bought this one 2 days ago..... hope it does right by me as well,time will tell. Regardless the Honda stays!

that looks like a moose hauler for sure.

I have a 1995 model 300 Honda that I bought new. Had to replace mastercylinder to front brakes and do regular service. This machine has been kept outside in the weather most of it's life. I run a trapline with it in the winter for around 90 days and cover about 15 to 20 miles a day on it. has been tough as nails so far.

I bought a 250 big red the first year those came out 85?....sold it and bought a 91, 300....sold it and bought a 350 rancher the first year they came out 99? Sold it and bought a 08 420 rancher, which I still own....I've stuck with Honda since 85....I've never had one fail me in thousands of tough Alaskan miles...and they keep improving the design.....adjust the valves, change the oil and filter and use good gas and they will bring you home....

My 86 foreman still runs strong. had to replace the fuel pump twice and the sparks plugs, other than that it is like a Timex! Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Not bad machines if you dont mind getting beat to death from their horrible suspension. I know my back hates me everytime i take the honda out.
    just my .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Not bad machines if you dont mind getting beat to death from their horrible suspension. I know my back hates me everytime i take the honda out.
    just my .02
    Very true, especially compared to the newer rides!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

we have a 2005 that my grandpa bought back when he lived up here (he lived a couple miles form kink lake) he bought it to haul his little boat around to the lake. then he gave it to us a few years ago, and it became my standard work rig, I was driving to point makinze or big lake (about 10-15 miles each way) 6 days a week, with 8000 miles I ran the tires 100% bald and use got some new ones, Maxis, maybe, but that doesn't sound right. anyway, the sylinoid went out or something, it started clicking when you'd push the start button and you'd have to pull start it about 50% of the time, then one day it started grinding and the power start hasn't worked sense. a head light is out, I wore the heated grips down so they are smooth and you have to pump the brakes till the build up enough pressure to actually stop you (I checked the brake fluid and its full) the biggest problem I've had with it was I was using a type of oil that had some sort of detergent and the clutch would slip like crazy going up hills and such, we started getting the stuff that doesn't have detergent in it and it works fine, about once a year after I roll it I'll drain the oil and put new stuff in cause the drain bold somehow got striped of its threads and its not able to be taken out with out some major repair work. it still works though! its a good one, I've abused that sucker so bad, like going 40 mph to work and back all summer.....if you use the choke to warm it up or if you don't let it warm up completely you can't hardly get above 35, when you let it warm up right it can go 50 no problem.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Friend of mine has a fleet of Honda Foremans, he puts more miles on his wheelers of anyone I personally know. He swears by Hondas, says just replace the bearings in all corners every 3000 miles and ride.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.