Thread: Need Help Making Snares

Default Need Help Making Snares

Whats the best way to attach #9 size wire to snare cable, cable thats 3/32 . Ive seen the wire tightly wrapped around the cable before to make a built in swivel but not sure how to make a nice and neat coil around the cable since the wire is kinda stiff.

Ahh I just made about 2 dozen tonight wish I would of taken pics. But do just like you said I put the end loop of the snar or the swivel if I am using them in a vice grip then take the wire through the loop/swivel then depending on the size / target species do between 5-7 loops of the wire back on its self and that is it. It is very simple when I first started making them I thought there was no way they would hold and kept overthinking it but its not too bad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4053143.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	54767
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4053142.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	54766

Here ya go!

Supporting Member

If you place a 16 penny nail vertical in a vice with the #9 wire standing up next to it and then grab the #9 wire with vice grips and twist it around the nail, you can create the loops you need to make a swivel. With the head of the nail on the bottom side of the vice, you should be able to tap the nail out of the loops while simultaneously tightening the loops together. Run your cable through the loops, add a washer and an end stop and you should be in business. The other option is to place the #9 wire in one side of a 1/8" double ferrule and the snare cable in the other side and crimp the two together. The second method does not provide any swivel action, but should hold securely with a few good crimps on the ferrule. If you are worried about the cable pulling out of the ferrule (which shouldn't happen with the proper crimping), run it through the ferrule and add an end stop before crimping your ferrule. You can also run the #9 wire past the ferrule, crimp it and then double back the #9 on the ferrule if you are concerned about your crimp.

thanks for the info, mabe i just need more practice i was having trouble keeping my coils tight, i got plenty of material so im bound to get it right sooner or later , thanks

thanks 4 the info i'll try a 16 penny i used too small a nail earlier, im trying to make my own snares now instead of buying them , i think it will b cheaper in the long run.

Supporting Member

It will be cheaper, especially if you hang a bunch of snares. The trade-off is the time you have to spend in the shop making them.

quickest way is to buy a crimping tool and all the ferruls and crimp the ninewire to the cable...wont pull out...if u crimp it correctly...i do all my wolf snares this way..and fox/cat snares the same with 14 guage wire.....hope it helps
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!