Thread: Reloading room layout

Default Reloading room layout

Well here is my blank slate!

Room is 14'2"x14'2" with outlets set at 42" height for bottom of face plate. The room is dedicated reloading space and I am a complete rookie reloader. I want a very nice space but not looking for gourmet kitchen type cabinets or anything. I am looking for suggestions on layout, cabinetry, bench top construction etc. Good places to find deals would also be greatly appreciated!!

After the mudding and taping, finish it off with Bright White High Gloss Behr Paint.
    Make sure the lighting is more than just adequate over the work space.
    Get a comfortable, cushioned swivel stool for the bench.
    Get a comfortable, cushioned bench seat from a van or bus, for company in the room (couch is too bulky).
    I like a reloading bench to have 3 different levels. One at eye level when sitting, for things I want to look at closely. One at normal bench height for the press and scale/powder measure. And a lower level for setting finished products on or heavy objects that need to be within easy reach, but not in the way (the lower level also tends to be the one to collect clutter, leaving the normal one free).
    Get one of the Swiveling Arm Mounted Lighted Magnifying Glass'...at least 5" model. Worth it's weight in gold, when examining spent cartridges, primer pockets, dies or any object.
    Every reloading area needs a library and suitable book shelves or desk area...with your room, I would seriously consider a small corner desk on either end of the bench.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Nice space you got there man. Take your time is my suggestion. I have seen some pics where folks used kitchen cabinets along a wall (top and bottom) and had counter top material just like in a kitchen. Perhaps some deals at Home Depot or marked down, returned, etc.. items could make it more affordable for a reloading room. Seems most folks can't find enough storage so I would think about that. Room that size you could do some storage along a long wall and make a big free standing island bench in the middle to hold press/presses. Something heavy duty and built like a brick shet house. Throw a confederate flag on the wall and put a small beer fridge in there and you would be set. Maybe not. Beer no good for reloading and the flag is a regional interest. Oh well, do take Akres advice about good lighting. Thinking about lighting myself. I am setting my equipment up tomorrow. Got a Dillion 550B and RCBS rock chucker to mount in the garage. Then trying to figure out where all the other stuff will go. Lighting. Heater for garage. etc.. List seems to grow rather than shorten.

-Dan

Great size room....lots of lights and all the comments above are good!!

I just posted some pictures of my new reloading room in the "make it yourself" forum under Hydronics

Don't let it get to this point!!!

Lowrider,
    Cool Stuff!!! If one went that route, they could forgo the paint on the walls....
    With a coffee pot and a can opener, I could easily live in that space!

lujon,
    Before it is too late, you might consider double rocking the wall between the shop and reloading room and the best Fire Rated Door you can find to isolate it better. Also want to keep in mind ventilation, as a walled off room can get a lot of humidity built up in it, in certain conditions.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Don't let it get to this point!!!

how do you find anything in there?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default good wiring job

[
    The wiring for the lights is a real touch of class!

If you are covered by local building and fire codes the wiring along with the quanity of powder stored should cause some building inspector to come unglued.

Keep the door closed whenever possible

QUOTE=Lowrider;1033310]Don't let it get to this point!!! [/QUOTE]
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

This is my small space against the garage wall. Next time around I will dedicate a room for the safe and reloading equipment in the house. Keep florescent lights away from your bench if you plan on electronic scales. Make your bench sturdy, I like mine high because I stand while working. Make sure there isn't any air blowing on your bench from air distributors. The air flow will cause scale errors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5120213.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	54788

Nice looking layout Marshall. But you got no room for naked chics holding guns posters

I recently decided to try to do a Reload set-up on the little boat I am renovating down south, it is Extremely Space Limited so was quite the challenge, (I'll post some pics later for you guys' entertainment anyway),

but the most obvious, "High Value issues," I found when compacting everything were,

1) Lighting, just get it figured out so your immediate working area (not really large, maybe 3ft x 2ft, press and loading blocks area) is really excellent on visibility

2) Storage, this needs to be set up so you can have things like your powder supply labels visible while stored on their shelves so that you can see what they are, (Marshalls set up describes this well, everything is out of the way, has it's place, yet is displayed so you don't have to go shuffling through all the Powder Cans or bullet boxes to find what you need)

and I guess standing while loading is my preference, I like the idea of a swivel stool, but from my two areas now setup I have found I like standing throughout the process, tho having a nice stool around if you get into prepping a large batch of cases, a place to sit, "high, and up close to the bench," might be nice

I also think the plastic little drawer units shown in Marshalls area, are priceless for stashing the, repetitively used tools,
    in the "Same-place-every-time." Probably the best upgrade I made to my home system were those little plastic drawer cabinets

Have fun
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    [
    The wiring for the lights is a real touch of class!

If you are covered by local building and fire codes the wiring along with the quanity of powder stored should cause some building inspector to come unglued.

Keep the door closed whenever possible

QUOTE=Lowrider;1033310]Don't let it get to this point!!!
    [/QUOTE]

OH...you can't see stack of powder cans and kegs...let's just say it is a ways from my house and 1800' feet to my nearest neighbor.

Congradulations on your new loading space (and home?). Lots of great ideas so far. There isn't a right and wrong to a lot of this...people are different. I thought Lowrider's room was pretty neat, I can see some of his bench in places. Mine comes and goes how much junk is piled on it.

My present room is about 12X12 feet. When we build our AK home my "gun" room will be bigger.

I stand to do most of my work in my gun/reloading/fishing/hunting/backpacking/camping/etc. room. There is a chair in there somewhere, but I seldom use it. My bench is fairly high. I only use a Rock Chucker press and it is mounted about in the middle of the bench. I keep my scale, lube kit, dies, powder measures, etc. on top of the bench within easy reach. I have one shelf under the bench that holds several coffee cans (don't drink coffee, but love the cans) with cast bullets, some bulk boxes of bullets, and an assortment of powders I use. I have a couple of large plastic tubs under the shelf that hold my speed machine and more reloading suppies.

Above the bench is a gun cabinet my Mother had made for my Father during one of his "trips" overseas. It holds the rifles horizontal. I don't store any rifles there, but some times I'll put a few in there while I'm working. There's a side door that holds an assortment of primers. I only pull out the primers and powder as they are being used...only one on the bench top at a time!

I have a metal framed shelf that holds a series of plastic containers. These hold various cans of powder I use a lot of, cleaning supplies, gun parts, etc. Also on this unit are my trimmer, Dillon primer hole tool, and other odds and ends. Next to that I have a metal framed shelf unit with removable plastic bins in 3 or 4 sizes. These hold my bullets and brass. I bought these shelf units at Costco and both are good things to have. My shot shell press in on it's own stand on the floor.

I made a shelf unit from 2X4s and plywood. Each shelf is 4X4 feet, 3 shelves total. I can get up to 36 plastic containers on the unit. These hold muzzle loading supplies, shot shell supplies, leather tooling, holsters, a section for fishing stuff. It's also where I keep my gun cases, small tents, sleeping bags, etc. It stores a lot of stuff, but it can be a pain to find stuff and move containers out of the way to get things in the back.

I keep my guns in a safe. Keeps the bad guys at bay, keeps them away from kids in the house, and helps keep the rust monster away. I might note that no one else is welcome in my gun room.

I have a small book case under the window. Mostly home building books and truck manuals. I have another book case for my "gun" references. It's 4 foot wide and floor to ceiling in height and screwed to the wall. I wish I had double the room for books.

I built a cart for cleaning my guns. It's a little shorter than my bench so I can lean over the top of the rifle being worked on. It's about 2X4 feet and nicely holds a rifle vise with plenty of room for cleaning supplies. I added two shelves that hold "stuff". I put wheels on one end and on the other I added 2 2" round retractable handles so I can move it around the room as needed. It really makes cleaning and working on rifles better.

I found some closeout flooring at Home Depot that didn't need to be glued down. It's kind of plastic on top with a padding on the bottom. I put this on both the cart and my bench top. I keep it from moving with some scrap oak trim that also keeps stuff from rolling off onto the floor. It makes it easy to clean up spills and is easy on the gun finishes.

I have a couple of file cabinets to hold my reloading logs and information.

I notice most people put their shelves on the wall. I like my stuff free standing.

I would add: make a set of tight fitting shutters to close so slimey eyes are unable to see the riches behind the glass just beyond their reach. Even if you have the gnarliest gunsafe built and your firearms safe, a room spread with reloading equipment is a screaming invitation to low-life to ransack your home trying to find the safe.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Good point on the windows Nitroman! I plan to weld up and install some steel bars in the opening. Ultimately if someone really wants your stuff and has the resources they will get it. I do plan on taking steps to keep the petty criminals out of my stuff though!

It was asked what I plan to do in the space. Honestly I feel that just like buying a boat one doesn't know what the want to do till they get one and head out to use it! Right now I have a couple "WSM" cartridges and especially the 325 is eating me alive trying to shoot it with any regularity! $67 a box! I also have a couple 6.8 SPC spec II rifles that unfortunately due to Remington's poor early development I can't find off the shelf rounds that will let the revised chamber/twist of the SpecII reach its potential. No major manufacturer will produce them since there are still old Rem Spec 1 rifles out there that would come apart with the hotter loads.

Those are the major focus but I also plan to eventually work with 7mm Rem mag, 280AI (when Kimber gets it together), 308, and probably 10mm. I don't plan on doing any real high volume stuff, just working up loads primarily for hunting.

Call Russ or Marsha at http://www.shooters-supply.com/ and they'll set you up with goodies. Go to www.ch4d.com for basic dies, while there check out Dave's neck dies. These come in three sizes based on case length so you can neck size as many cases as will fit the length of the die. Pretty kewl.

Get a bench in there and start doing something at least. The room will settle in around the bench as that is where the action will be.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...