Thread: Considering moving to Anchorage from Hawaii. Would look to rent at first.

Default Considering moving to Anchorage from Hawaii. Would look to rent at first.

Anyone have ideas or connections regarding housing (rental for the time being) in Anchorage/Eagle River/Chugiak.  Would consider renting a guest home, because I have seen some really interesting second houses on properties listed in the MLS.  Off the beaten trail is very ok.  I'm an Air Force pilot, and it's me, my wonderful lady, and my two friendly dogs.  Would be commuting to base.  If this move happens I look forward to some discussions regarding outdoor life.  I've visited Anchorage in all seasons, and I think that we would absolutely love it there.  Grew up in the country in East Tennessee, so rivers/ mountains/ exploring are some of my favorite things.  Got a Harley Road King, but suppose that would end up being a snowmachine/ATV.  Thanks

I don't know if you've spent any time out of Anchorage, but in my visits around the state, I've seen that motorcycle riding is hugely popular. I don't know much about bikes, but you might want to hang onto yours for a year or two anyway.

Having looked around at property, and just now buying a remote property, I can tell you that housing prices and rental is high for anything decent. Check up around Eagle River and maybe as far as Palmer or Wasilla. If any fellow Airmen can't help you, you probably ought to think about enlisting the help of a realtor/property manager.

Rentals are very expensive for anything decent plus if you find a place that will except pets you have big fees for that too. My wife and I just PCS'd here and ended up buying a place in Eagle River because it ended up being cheaper to buy than to rent in the long haul. If you look in the Valley area by Wasilla it would be cheaper to buy if you go that direction but you have the drive which in the winter could be from an Hour or a lot longer due to weather.

There's good numbers ofhomes for sale in Anchorage/Eagle River. Not really a lot of rentals, especially decent ones. When I retired my now ex-spouse drove every road to just about every where to see traffic patterns and commuting problems. I now live towards south Anchorage. stuie is correct about the drive out to Palmer/Wasilla. Summer is fine but winter is something else entirely. Already this winter there have been delays of over an hour. There's only one road to and from that area and if anything happens, it turns into a large parking lot. Motorcycle riding is popular but for only about 4 months out of the year, maybe 4 1/2.