Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Gun do I buy

Default Which Gun do I buy

I want to buy one gun for my 1st of hopefully many trips to Alaska, so I would like the gun I purchase to be good for all of the big game....The following are the ones I was thinking of, what is your opinion?

Browning 325 WSM

or

Mark V 340 Weatherby Mag

The price is about the same, Browning weighs 3 1/4lbs less

Neither get a simularly priced 375.

338 Win Mag.

neither, i'll toss in for the .338 win mag as well...don't get something that has ammo scarce in some parts...go popular.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Get a Stainless/Synthetic 338 Winchester in any make if you only want one gun. I just got me a 338 Weatherby Vanguard, and its a keeper!

If you can afford alot of guns, then you have alot more options, if planning on BrownBear for your first Alaskan hunt, I'd opt for a 375H&H
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Cant argue with these guy the 338 is a excelent choice too.

How can one go wrong with 338wm or 375 HH. Which cal. is best is the eternal debate, but these 2 would fill the tag, if you do your part. As has repeatedly been posted here: practice, practice, than practive some more is the best precription for success.
    Have a great hunt!

338win. it's no mistake that it's the most popular caliber up here.

get the 338 wm or the 375H&H. Both are great rounds and ammo is easy to find.

the guys are right that those are 2 not so commonly available calibers for ammo.

that being said, i have and have used to good effect a .340 wthby. it is so heavy that it should some with wheels on it, the way a howitzer does. it also hits brwn bear and moose like a howitzer. ask me how i know this.

for all around use i would rather have a .338/.340 than a .375 for all around use, m.h.o..

when i travel, i put 1/2 to 1 full box of ammo in each piece of luggage. that way as long as one piece makes it i will have enough ammo to get by. i have had more bags lost including my gun than i can shake a stick at. this system works for me.
    Last edited by cold zero; 03-24-2007 at 20:21. Reason: add travel tip

Default Another

vote for the .338 win mag. You can't go wrong with that.

I'll never part with my stainless 338 Win Mag, Winchester Model 70 with the "BOSS." The "BOSS" is part muzzle break and part vibration dampener. It's adjustable and, with some effort, can dial in your favorite bullet and charge to sub-minute-of-angle accuracy. They're not currently in production but can still be found.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterTomsDad View Post
    I'll never part with my stainless 338 Win Mag, Winchester Model 70 with the "BOSS." The "BOSS" is part muzzle break and part vibration dampener. It's adjustable and, with some effort, can dial in your favorite bullet and charge to sub-minute-of-angle accuracy. They're not currently in production but can still be found.
    Browning has a SS/A-Bolt in .338 Win Mag W/BOSS set-up. Come with a traditional muzzle brake and conventional recoil adaptor. Weights a ton when you scope it out but shoots great. My vote is the same as the majority...go .338 in Stainless Steel! If you are going specifically for Brownies think larger! Nobody likes an angry Brownie close by and I'm not talking about little girls in uniforms either!

If you hand load your rounds, I would go with the .375 H&H solely because of the option of the 235 grain Barnes TSX. I have a .375 H&H T/C Encore and with the 235 grain TSX's it shoots about as flat as a .30-06. I use the 270 grian TSX's for moose and brown bear.

If you don't hand load, go with a .338. I'm partial to the 210 or 225 grain bullets as an all around round for anything in Alaska.

Default Your gun

Both are great. I have hunted with a .338 Win. Mag. for 32 years. I am staying with it. If I was a guide and spending alot of time with big costal brown bears I would go with the .375 H&H. Use a good tough bullet. I think you will find most of your shots in Alaska will be under 150 yards.

Get a .338WM. It does not have to be a fancy rifle, since the weather is sometimes quite tough on firearms depending on where one hunts. For example, a stainless/synthetic rifle may be a better choice by the coastline, or in places where it rains a lot.

If you handload or not, the .338 is just as good for bears with bullets such as the 225-grain TSX, 225-grain TBBC, 230-grain FS, and 250-grain Partition you can buy at the store. If you handload, then you can add the 250-grain TSX, 250-grain A-Frame, 275-grain A-Frame (for the biggest bears around), or the 300 Woodleigh (for bears alone).

It does not make any sense to shoot bears with lightweight .375-caliber bullets, when a 338WM can do the same with bullets that have greater SD. Now, a 270-grain TSX out of the .375 is not bad, but any of the 300 grainers is where the .375 H&H does it's best.

Default which rifle?

1st choice: weather resistent 338
    close 2nd choice: weather resistent 375
    3rd choice: 300 WM....also weather resistent

Both the 338 and 375 are excellent choices. If I planned on hunting brown bear, I would choose the .375 over the .338. Other than that, its a coil toss. And you shouldn;t have aproblem finding amo anywhere you go. Get into something like a .340 Wby or .338 ultramag and finding ammo is hard and $$$.

What make rifle is a personal thing, most didtated by your checkbook. I presonally like Remmington. But thats just me. Good luck.

F2T

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cmizo View Post
    Which gun do I buy?.........
    You buy every gun your wife will allow...........

Default 325 WSM or 340 Weatherby

I would go with the 340 Weatherby. I have a 340 and love it. I also have a answer brake on it and a very good recoil pad. Kick for me is somewhere 243 or 308 winchester, with this set up. I also have a 2 X 7 Khales on it. I know the other guys say the 338 wm because of ammo availability. And they may have a point if you do not reload. If you reload then go with the 340, it just out does the 338 wm. I would put a box of ammo in every bag like someone suggested just in case. I would probably use 225 Barnes TSX. But any set up you choose you will love. Enjoy your rifle and buy what you like the feel of.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmizo View Post
    I want to buy one gun for my 1st of hopefully many trips to Alaska, so I would like the gun I purchase to be good for all of the big game....The following are the ones I was thinking of, what is your opinion?

Browning 325 WSM

or

Mark V 340 Weatherby Mag

The price is about the same, Browning weighs 3 1/4lbs less

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast