Thread: A warning to Arctic Cat Bearcat enthusiasts:

Default A warning to Arctic Cat Bearcat enthusiasts:

I'm going to hoard all the 1996-2000 model 340 and 440 bearcats.

Just like guys who hoard savage model 99's in 358 winchester, like guys who hoard all the willy's jeeps, like guys who hoard all the Ski Doo Tundra ll's.

Your offer is futile, I will karate chop your offer with an in-person offer of $100 more at the seller's front door.

Those rebuild kits and spare parts on ebay......same thing.

Used 1.5 in.-1.75in. paddled tracks......same thing

8in-10in wide plastic skis.......same thing.

By the end of my stay here in Anchorage, there will be at least four or more of these things sitting in storage at my remote property for less than half the price of a new 600 e-tec tundra........maintained, tuned and repaired to perfection. Engines fogged, everything greased.

How many do you want?

Oh I was just joking a bit, I would honestly like to find about three of em in mint condition, or close to it. If you see one, PM me. Will begin building on the property by next season hopefully. I've been paying down on the property for a good long while, and finally feel stable enough to divert funds in another direction after a season of building canoes. This past summer I saw three individual 440-340 bearcats pop on on craigs for very small asking prices. One of them only had about 900 miles on it too.......I hate to look when I'm not ready to buy......ouch! I'm not brand loyal and really like those little tundra's too. But there is no denying the torque or the smooth running produced by a small twin. A little help in the track dept. and a little help with wider skis......your going places. Hope to get the biggest loads hauled with the widetrak but need some smaller commuting machines for smaller loads.

There's a huge difference in fuel usage between a little bearcat and my larger widetrak. But what was amazing, was that the 340 bearcat actually got better fuel mileage pulling the same sized load as a 250 tundra. The Bearcat is easier to work on as there's so much space under there to get around and fix things, and the simplicity is unbelievable. The wide ratio clutch does purdy darned good. It engages at a creepy low speed and revs the motor hard at lower speeds. Once you get up to speed, the clutch picks up speed but not the motor. Compared to the Tundra 250 it was the difference between a 10 speed bike, and a 3 speed bike.

The suspension isn't back cracking in extremely long runs either. Very soft rear suspension. Fuel prices are terrible, and equally terrible is that extra premium price of almost $10,000 for good fuel economy (600 etec tundra)! When funds have to be spread across many different seasons, and things........kinda makes it hard to spend that premium price.

Yeah but Mainer Team CC has those etech tundras for 0 down, 0 interest and 0 payments for 6 months! Shoot a guy could ride all winter for free!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Yeah but Mainer Team CC has those etech tundras for 0 down, 0 interest and 0 payments for 6 months! Shoot a guy could ride all winter for free!
    Isn't this the logic that got us into the Real Estate crisis? No, you don't ride for free, you are just delaying the cost...check the fine print on late payments too.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Guess I got mine at the right time (bought a 340 just before PFD time.) Any hints or automatic upgrades you can share?
    Drink indigenous.

Well heI_I_ Mainah you just ain't cool!
    As for me, I'm hoarding the old Polaris Indies from 440-500. I love them. They're bullet proof, do all that I need them to do and I don't owe anything on them. I'm just a leeettttlllle bit apprehensive about longer trips is all...

Quote Originally Posted by Pointbock View Post
    Guess I got mine at the right time (bought a 340 just before PFD time.) Any hints or automatic upgrades you can share?
    Thanks to Pid, I got a very nice track for this little woods machine. It's a camoplast track with 1.5 in paddles and came from an arctic cat sled. I checked the tunnel for clearance, and this is going to work perfectly. Pid......you're a generous fella for giving me such a good deal on the track. It's practically brand new.

Poinbock, I'll keep yah in the loop about any changes I make. There really isn't much change needed as the clutching and gearing is about perfect. I loaded a 55 gallon drum of boat building epoxy (600 lbs.) into a small tote sled to transport it to the back of the house, and the belt would not slip at all, even at less than 5 mph. When picking up speed, it's almost as if that 55 gallon drum of epoxy was non existent. The only real changes needed are a better track for the woods, wider skis, and possibly a handlebar riser so you can stand in the woods while maneuvering off trail. The 3/4" lugged stock track and skinny skis are worthless off trail. The torque produced by the 340 suzuki twin and the wide ratio clutch is plenty for a 1.5" paddled cross country track. These type of tracks seem to have a thick enough paddle that ATV studs can be easily used. The track I just scored has atv studs in every lug.

On a different note, A friend from up north is also going to sell me a Bearcat 440 l. This model has the single carb 440 suzuki twin. It only has 1,800 miles on it and has reverse. Might make a better commuter sled so that I don't have to feed the Widetrak so much fuel. It'll get the same track and ski treatment as my son's 340 bearcat. I just hope I'm as lucky as I was this time and able to find a used track like the one pictured. If not.....will have to bite the bullet and buy one new.

Attached Images Attached Images

Just bought a 96 bearcat with alot of miles on it but runs great. It has the wide skis but a stock track....a paddle track would be nice.

Just scored anothah bearcat, my quota is met. This one here is a 2000 440 Bearcat ll. Got it for a very cheap price ($1200), but needs a new seat cover. This old man was a big fella so I imagine that the vinyl couldn't hold up, nor the overload springs which look to be newly replaced too. I found seat cover replacements for $150. This model has an odd-ball sized track which is 16 in. wide/156 in. long. It has a new primary clutch, new shocks in the rear, and wide plastic skis. Original owner was an older man who volunteers on the iditarod. It was used to haul goods and do trail sweeps by the same guy since it was new. Claims he never found a reason to run much more than 15-25 mph.