Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filming Hunts with a Go Pro

Default Filming Hunts with a Go Pro

Just wondering if anyone has tried filming their hunts with one. I like to film my hunts, but am wanting to hear how these little units work before I pull the trigger. Looks like a great option to free up hands and still film.
    Pick A Spot

If you like the fish eye effect they work ok. I switched over to the Kodak playsport 3 it does very well on my bow and you have the option to buy the fish eye adapter
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Thanks for the input. Ill check it out.
    Pick A Spot

How do you secure it to your bow or hat for filming ?
    Pick A Spot

I've used one over the last summer. The video is high quality. The sound is less than high quality. It comes with a "skeleton" back that seemed to transmit sound better, however it's no longer "water proof". The one I bought came with an elastic head harness and it's similar in feel/weight to wearing a good sized headlamp. There are other attachment gizmos that I didn't use. I was able to record my son harvesting his first spruce grouse, but because I was wearing it on my head I could only guess that it was aimed the right way. I think I'll be looking for a different waterproof camera next year. Neat idea, but seems to have some drawbacks.

They do make a 3D setup that has my attention, but I'd be curious if anyone has used it.

Another viable option is the ContourPro. Of the 3 models 2 can BlueTooth to either an iPhone or Android for playback or checking it's files of view score shooting. Another viable option for roughly the same costs.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I used a Go Pro on my sheephunt, and it worked real well, I bought an extra battery from REI so I had good battery life to last. Like stated above, I wore mine on my head over my beanie like a headlamp, The 1080 P HD is the way to go..... I took it moose hunting, and if I could've found a way to mount on my bow, i could of got good footage of bow shots on a moose but I'm still working on it. I even used it thru a friends Leica spotter and it worked okay, but trying to hold steady and centered was a challenge. ....I will use the Go Pro from now on over a video camera, until I can afford one of those high dollar ones with the quality lenses and stabilization.

This looks very interesting.....

If it does all the vid claims, it could be a most dandy camera.

Currently the wife and I are armed with pentax shock proofed and water proof and have been piling on the hours of vids alrighty. As a guy who has an extensive collection of broken cameras, I can say these cameras are the Schizzzzzz....... If I gotta get me one, its gotta be as tough as the Pentax have proven to be.......... Ill get her one too besides , I dont wanna lose my camerawoman, I wanna enhance her filming capabilitys

I have a good one from a couple days ago, about a 4 minute shot on sniping 3 White fox from a cliff above, just a too long to download. The camera would be a great upgrade if I could get an internet upgade.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Go to Youtube and check out the videos for both the Playsport and the go pro. If you go with the playsport you can pick them up on Ebay for about $80 just get the older version not the new one I tried the new one the sound quality was not that great. I have mine mounted on my bow with a insane archery adapter,Here again I tried 3 other ones before I ended up with this one http://insanearchery.com/ Click on customers videos

I've been using a high dollar Canon GL2 for years but it ended up getting wet in a river while fishing this year....so there went my $2,000+ camcorder! The Gopros are pretty cheap price compared to most camcorders. I will try mine out next week on a fishing trip. It is a fraction of the size and weight of any camcorder I have ever seen which is a plus for packing! In fact, the GoPro itself is only around 1 1/2" x 3" in size. In the waterproof clear box its a little bigger but still pretty tiny. It will be fun to do some underwater fishing stuff as well as trying out on hunting trips.

I've heard the sound isn't the best when the GoPro is in the waterproof box but if you are like me you often put music to video so that's not too big a deal. If it isn't raining you can always use the slot back that allows better sound....or no box at all.

I have the helmet, handlebar, and head harness. A lot of guys use them on kayaks, boats, rafts, bikes, 4 wheelers, skis, etc and it has a pretty crisp picture for being such a small camcorder. It uses regular SD cards and a couple small batteries ought to last a really long time. I would expect the head mount to be the way to go on hunts because your hands will be free and you can have it running while you stalk and shoot game. It doesn't have a zoom so I'm not exactly sure how big animals will appear if they are out past 100 yards? For archery and close quarter hunts it would be great!

With that said, it's pretty tough to beat a GL2 for quality and the ability to zoom in on critters way out there. There were times I previously left my camcorder behind because I didn't want to lug around the additional weight and bulk. Now that I have a tiny little GoPro I'll likely be doing a lot more filming where I otherwise missed out!

Theres an after market case made that gets rid of the fish eye effect too, I think its around $70.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikthestik View Post
    How do you secure it to your bow or hat for filming ?
    I it is illegal to attach to a bow of any sort. I know roger said he does, so be ware, it is illegal, read the regs for your self. Only thing legal is the luminoks on the end of the arrow!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I it is illegal to attach to a bow of any sort. I know roger said he does, so be ware, it is illegal, read the regs for your self. Only thing legal is the luminoks on the end of the arrow!
    If camera is non illuminating it is legal to attach to the bow. Page 20. I would assume a camera with a screen would be illegal under the regs in the next paragraph down. Can't enhance opticaly.

If you have watched "Flying Wild Alaska", most of the flying scenes and other outdoor scenes are shot with a go-pro mounted to the aircraft. They have small stick on mounts. The mounts are generally sturdy. So the go pros are good enough for the TV industry.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    If camera is non illuminating it is legal to attach to the bow. Page 20. I would assume a camera with a screen would be illegal under the regs in the next paragraph down. Can't enhance opticaly.
    Not sure how it could enhance opticaly when it is no where near the sights or projects light forward. I have been stopped and check while hunting by F&G during bow season and had it mounted on my bow and no one said anything .

The GoPro actually doesn't have a screen so I'm not exactly sure what would be illuminated?

Great responses Thanks.. I am going to hunt blacktails on Kodiak and would like to make some footage of our stalks. I dont see any reason that it would be a problem for the fish and game, but I think I will ask to be sure. Anyhow it sure would be nice to capture some exciting stuff that I would miss otherwise, thanks for the tips !!! Posts to come...
    Pick A Spot

If you mount it to your bow practice shooting it. If you are like me the first few times shooting at something with the camera I had forgot the camera was on there after the shot so instead of following the game I would drop my bow down and get some great footage of the ground LOL!! Good luck

There is a brand new GoPro out called the gopro2 or something similar. It looks to have some better specs and maybe they tuned up the sound a bit.
    I would also look at www.eyeofmine.com for cool GoPro mounts and the flat lens housing. I just got my gopro this summer and have been playing with it a bit. Still working on the crazy under water mount for my boat.... but that is another story.

On a side note, once you see this camera and then look for them on TV you will see them everywhere. Mythbusters uses them, as do most reality shows, deadliest catch, etc.... eyeofmine makes a gun mount so I am sure a bow mount can not be far behind.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I think that you would be much better off with one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-CA9-...0583428&sr=8-9
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast