Thread: Sea duck hunting guides whittier to homer?

Default Sea duck hunting guides whittier to homer?

Looking to pay someone to take me after some sea ducks. I'd like to go outta whittier but anywhere from here to homer works. Leaving the state soon and i'd like to shoot a few before i go.
    Thanks
    griffin

Sending you a pm
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Call Buck in Seldovia. Bucksducks on this site and the Refuge. He runs a real good hunt and furnishes lodging all in one daily fee price. His prices are easy on the wallet. Not trying to run an ad for him but I have hunted with him twice and he is the real deal. Seldovia Hunting Charters, Buck Brown. If your serious you might also hit up duckslayer56 on this site. I think he is looking for a couple guys to do a hunt in early December which is prime time. My best advice is "just do it, and take lots of shells" PM me if you want some more info or photos. Duckdon

Timing ?

Is November 12 too early for the sea duks at Homer? After that I am tied up here in town until the weekend of December 3....but I was a bit worried about the cold weather and my top shelf rubber duckie zodiac.....

When will the big flock of Longtails come into the bay - ??lol

Rather go in Decemder than early November. More birds, in my opinion. Weather happens everyday in Alaska. I hunted with Buck a couple years ago, December 7-10 and it was Bluebird skies. One day over the mid-day, I was in my T shirt. His areas are very sheltered and so wind is not much of a problem. Not likely to lose any hunt days due to wind. I would guess heavy snow with wind would be a problem. Buck know's the birds and knows the tides and the effect it has on birds. Been doing hunts out there for over 20 years. Just do it........and take lots of shells. Duckdon

I second the recomendation for Buck in Seldovia. I also hunted with him last year in December. 4 days of decent weather. Buck knows exactly what bays hold what type of birds. He is very much in tune to where the birds want to be as well. You wont regret hunting with Buck.

Default bucks ducks

Does he offer 1 day hunts or just the 4 day deal that is advertised? If so do you know what he charges for a 1 day hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Does he offer 1 day hunts or just the 4 day deal that is advertised? If so do you know what he charges for a 1 day hunt?
    One of his website's is showing $350/pp/day or $300/pp/day with a party of 4 or greater. Not sure if that price is still accurate since I seem to recall that price being posted several years ago.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Banned

What about the guy in Homer that goes over to Soldovia? I understsnd he has super reasonable rates. I hear he just drops you off at rock blinds or some such! I guess he picks you up at the Homer dock?

Buck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,jump in here. You guys need to get on Bucks web site, Seldovia Hunting Charters, and contact him. He is da man wit da answers. He don't bite and is usually in a pretty good mood.
    I can't say if he would do a one day hunt but I bet if there is an opening he might. My question is Why???
    Spend all the time and money getting there, have a super day or maybe a bad weather day and miss out on a good hunt overall. Worth ever dime. IMO Duckdon

Something else to think about on the 'one day hunt" with Buck out of Seldovia. You catch Smokey Bay Chaters after daylight and assuming your on the first plane out it ain't flying til about 9:45am, give or take the fog conditions and .......... Then in the evening you will get picked up, maybe around 3:30 so you get back to Homer before dark. Staging time and on the ground travel in Seldovia also eats up your hunting day. Do the math. Makes for a short hunting day. Maybe Whittier is your better choice, but that said we only hunted about 2.5 hours yesterday and got blowed out. Don't know any guides out of Whittier so I can't help ya there. Duckdon

Reason i ask for 1 day hunts is I live in soldotna not coming from out of state or a long way out, by one day i meant like an early morning all day hunt or a weekend saturday sunday deal. I understand the weather issues. Was just curious if there were other options besides a 4 day deal. I will try to get a hold of him.

I want to echo what Don has said above. Its worth it to go for three of four days. Not because of weather, but becasue it gives you an opportunity to harvest different speices. To be honest with you, Buck charges a fiar price for what you get. Hes a top notch guide, and will get you to where the birds are. The rest is on you!!

Just to make sure I'm clear, hunting with Buck is affordable, and a great experience woth a GREAT guide! Its worth every penny. Hell, my taxidermy bill will probably be more than my hunt was!

anybody interested in a hunt just give me a call and we will talk about what you want/need to make it successful. i still have some openings. my rates seem to be better if you call after ive had a couple glasses of wine, @7 pm.

sorry. 234-7498. buck@xyz.net. i do 1 day hunts or whatever fits. i have local and vet rates. the birds are in.

I'd be interested in grouping up with somebody on this. My dates are flexible.

Buck, Sent you an email.

If I was not booked in Idaho, Wyoming and Minnesota already in the next 45 days I would join you. I will pass the word around. Go and have a good hunt and report back. Duckdon

Milo, sent you a PM
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!