Thread: Tohatsu dealer in Anchorage?

Default Tohatsu dealer in Anchorage?

Hello all,

I am in search of a Tohatsu dealer in Anchorage. I am wondering how close to online prices I can find a 20 horse up this way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Marieta sea & ski is one. I have never found them to have great prices by any means. However you might find some at the boat shows come early spring.

Try Seattle.

Good luck finding much in Ak for online prices... especially a boat motor.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Marieta sea & ski is one. I have never found them to have great prices
    I bought my Tohatsu 15 from them. They were good to work with, and I thought that the $1800 I paid was a good price. Anyone know where to buy one for less than that?

I also like their parts department. One time I put a tough problem to them that couldn't be looked up anywhere; they found a part on their shelves that was intended for a different purpose that fit the bill nicely. Very imaginative solution.

I would also look at the Merc 20hp at Sportsmans Warehouse. Same thing from what I can gather, might be cheaper and I think they are set up for "bush" shipping.

I'll go ahead and throw in that I got a Honda 20 in Soldotna and Ron's this summer for about the same as the Merc and Tohatsu are going for in the big chitty.

Tohatsu, Mercury and Nissan 20hp and less all are manufactured by Tohatsu, the only difference is the decals and price. I scored a good price on a 4hp Tohatsu from Marita's last spring after the boat show.

You may save a few bucks..but not many.. with "Internet Outboards"...and that's if you are looking for a tiller model. Tohatsu requires remote units to be dealer installed. If you were to get one online, it would be shipped to Marita for install and that would likely consume any savings as well as establishing some ill will. Storm Chasers in Seward are also Tohatsu dealers and exhibit at the winter boat show.

In addition to what Garyak said I would reinforce the reality that Marita will not be real interested in working on your boat engine after September. Their service department is interested in taking care of sleds and ATVs first. Storm Chaser's was great to work with as it relates to getting my Tohatsu 50 up and running last year. I've been happy enough with the 50hp to buy a 6hp kicker for the dinghy.

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    You may save a few bucks..but not many.. with "Internet Outboards"...and that's if you are looking for a tiller model. Tohatsu requires remote units to be dealer installed. If you were to get one online, it would be shipped to Marita for install and that would likely consume any savings as well as establishing some ill will. Storm Chasers in Seward are also Tohatsu dealers and exhibit at the winter boat show.
    As some of you know, Tracey Harmon has moved from Alaska Raft and Kayak and is now a (the?) General Manager over at Marita. Coincidentally I was on the phone with him this evening when I noticed this thread. He gave me a little insight into this.

The reason they run up every engine they sell is to prevent the engine from ending up in the Bush somewhere with a major problem. Factories make mistakes, and if they do, better to discover it in the shop than in the field. As to the pricing issue, of course you're not going to find the same prices online as you will in town! You've got to get the thing to Alaska, friend! So figure on shipping charges. I think Marita's prices are at or below MSRP, but someone with more time on their hands can check that one out...

Might not be a bad idea to give Tracey a ring. He's always been great to work with at ARK, and I would assume he brought his personality and customer service ethics with him when he made the move.

Take care,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I bought a tohatsu 5 hp tiller from online outboards in Juneau during the short time Juneau was without a Tohatsu dealer. I already had a 50 HP Tohatsu a needed a matching kicker. They were pretty good.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The reason they run up every engine they sell is to prevent the engine from ending up in the Bush somewhere with a major problem.
    A few years back they ran my engine before they would let me pick it up. I'm glad they did. I've never had an issue with it and though I do take care of it, I also give more than a fair amount of use/abuse/workout. Every scratch/ding on it is mine.

you can buy last year's models which are the same thing (they have been for years) from a place in Fife, Washington. Shipped up with lyden transport, it'll be a lot cheaper. let me see if they still carry last years models or if this dealer is still around.......very good prices!