Thread: Unit 16A Black Bear

Default Unit 16A Black Bear

Howdy guys!

I've been looking to do a Black bear hunt in Canada and decided to come back to Alaska instead. I am currently looking at unit 16A south of Peters Creek rd. in the spring of 2008. I understand there are a lot of blacks in the area and they've allowed baiting and two bears in this area. Can anyone speak to this and give me their opinion. Would I expect to see many big bears or lots of them? Is it a fair amount of open meadows? Anything you got, hit me.

I'm in CO and have a couple caribou and moose so far from this great state and need to add on.

Thanks!

you got a boat or just hiking bait in? seems like a popular spot out petersville road, if it was me, i think you'd do better flying in and hunting the open country along the mountains last week of may. over where i gues, not to far from 16A, i see about 20-40 black bears a week hunting above treeline last week of may and first week of june. i'd go crazy sitting at a bait site for seven days. don't expect alot of big bears, thats a sure fireway to get let down in a hurry, try to be reasonalbe with your expectations, figure probably one bear over seven foot in a week, that way if you see more its great and less, well then your only off by one.

but theres gotta be some more guys in here that have some baiting pointers for that area, they might have more accurate info for that specific area.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'd rather spot and stalk too, but dad needs to sit and wait...lol. We'd fly to Sushi (or something like that) lake and atving to a river just west. Mid June and we'd be fishing as well. Walking the river and meadows around the area.

Be prepared to have company, On average along the Parks Hwy Mile 105 to 113 there are around 16 bait stands ,Fish and game last year was trying to find the folks that were shooting bears and only taking backstraps. We talked to the trooper for a while and those are the number of registered Bait stands that year according to him ,But that does not mean that there was that many, But I know where 8 of them are.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

you gonna fly out and then take the atv? you got an outfitted hunt lined up or something, but like the other poster said its popular...
    Master guide 212

Yes, an outfitter and we are flying in. It's actually more than 10 miles from the peter's creek rd.

you mind sharing who the outfitter is? they should have a pretty good handle on what its like out there, but then again, they are selling you something...i know how that goes. second opinions are always recommended.
    Master guide 212