Thread: Stay off the lakes

Default Stay off the lakes

There was an accident up by Long Lake. Does anyone have any additional information? (My edit, Daveinthebush)
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-04-2011 at 08:19. Reason: Misinformation
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

heard it was north of palmer

I thought that was on Long Lake and the car slipped off the road? Could have been a different issue.

Long Lake north of Palmer. Appears it was a loss of control accident... thoughts go out to family of the woman and two kids.
    http://m.frontiersman.com/articles/2...6912006366.txt

We saw the accident. It looked like they were coming down hill alongside long lake heading toward palmer and as the reached the bottom by long lake parking lot the missed the turn and hit the bog across the highway from long lake. Prayers and thoughts to the family.

Quote Originally Posted by jsneymans View Post
    We saw the accident. It looked like they were coming down hill alongside long lake heading toward palmer and as the reached the bottom by long lake parking lot the missed the turn and hit the bog across the highway from long lake. Prayers and thoughts to the family.
    So they actually went in on the north side of the road? I saw a tractor trailer rig in there last winter. I don't know if it is deep enough to submerge a vehicle. Please clarify. Many friends and I travel that road a lot and need to know the hazards.

It sounds like they were upside down in vehicle to start. Yes the north (mountain) side of the highway. There's a corner right at the long lake parking lot before heading up the hill toward glennallen. I'm not sure either how deep that bog is but sounds fairly deep to submerged a vehicle. When we passed it was upright and the water was halfway past the front door windows. All I know is that when we went up in the am the roads weren't bad till you hit sheep mountain and then its pretty icy, even with studs. Coming back was worse all way to palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by jsneymans View Post
    It sounds like they were upside down in vehicle to start. Yes the north (mountain) side of the highway. There's a corner right at the long lake parking lot before heading up the hill toward glennallen. I'm not sure either how deep that bog is but sounds fairly deep to submerged a vehicle. When we passed it was upright and the water was halfway past the front door windows. All I know is that when we went up in the am the roads weren't bad till you hit sheep mountain and then its pretty icy, even with studs. Coming back was worse all way to palmer.
    Thank-you for the clarification. It may save friends or family this winter.

My thoughts to the family.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    my god people they aint that froze up yet keep your vehicles off them, Their trying to breath life into 2 babies right now, would playing around on the ice yet be worth it?
    A terribly tragic accident that wasn't caused by any negligence whatsoever turns into playing on the ice!? My prayers out to the family. I can only imagine what this family is going through, a very hurtful story to read in the paper.

Ironartist, a rediculous stance to take..........really.

On behalf of that family and their friends who are on this forum, an apology works very well yah know.

That same exact spot in 2006 I turned a snow machine trailer sideways (yes even with studs on my vehicle). I don't know how the four of us kept the vehicle on the road. I did no wrong, and was driving appropriately. My young buddy had over inflated my trailer tires and they were like cement (no traction). I brought them down to 28 psi and never had that issue again. The trailer yanked my little truck all over the place. I think what happens is during warmer day time weather, the water runs down into that spot and freezes up, then snow fall onto it and you don't know about it until it's too late, if it's the spot I'm referring to. It needs more dirt thrown down.

The people involved were from Valdez heading to Anchorage. The two little kids attended the elementary school over here. Mom has lots of relatives here.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012