Thread: battery question

Default battery question

Battery no problem starting in Garage. Took machine to Cantwell, overnight in the cold and thing is dead. Charger on it for 30 mintues. Ok to start it.. Drive down the AK highway, battery dead.

I'm sure its a bum battery. But this thing is only 1 year old. Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV. What's the normal life on these things?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Normal life on atv batteries is about 2 years, manufacturers only give a 12 month warranty. It is definitely a bad battery. Cold weather always puts more strain on the battery. It's crap because they are expensive for their short life.

Remember, keeping them inside and charged in the off season adds life to the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    Normal life on atv batteries is about 2 years, manufacturers only give a 12 month warranty. It is definitely a bad battery. Cold weather always puts more strain on the battery. It's crap because they are expensive for their short life.

Remember, keeping them inside and charged in the off season adds life to the battery.
    its been in the garage its entire life. 2010 model, with only 9 hours of use. Figured well more life than that. And never run down. Oh well.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

The more you use a battery, the longer it lasts. That's part of the reason car batteries outlast atv and toy batteries. Make sure to charge them every couple months if they aren't being used.

I've been fighting a battery/charging problem in my Sportsman 800. Turns out the regulator was bad. Make sure you're getting proper charge voltage before you buy a new battery.

Cheap fix install a battery cut out switch they're 15 bucks

Pick up a battery tender. You can leave them hooked up constantly when the machine is not in use. It will charge the battery until it reaches a full charge then slightly run it down and then charge again. It will increase the life of the battery greatly.

i also had a bad VR and bad starter solenoid which the battery had just enough juice to start the thing when it was warm but the second it got a little cold it just wasn't enough to turn over anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Grutsch View Post
    Pick up a battery tender. You can leave them hooked up constantly when the machine is not in use. It will charge the battery until it reaches a full charge then slightly run it down and then charge again. It will increase the life of the battery greatly.
    But what about in the field? That's why I used a master switch never had another problem plus a tender will show up on y our electric bill and sounds inconvient

Guys, I've had the same battery in a little honda for 12 years and she starts right up today. Its the clocks and the other drainable computer things that you have running on your machines.

The post about getting a cut off switch is the best advice.

My Rancher has had no problems, but my brothers Rubicon has had nothing but problems with the battery.

At this time you donít know if the battery went bad or you have a problem causing the battery to go bad. If you have a parasitic drain that is draining the battery that would cause the problem youíre having. I would recharge the battery, and test youíre ATV for a problem, using a DVOM. Or you can replace the battery and hope you do not have a problem with the ATV. If you do not have a method of testing the ATV I may be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Grutsch View Post
    x2 on this. I keep my Arctic Cat in an unheated shed. I've got a tender attached to the wall and a pig tail permanently attached to the battery. Every time I park the wheeler, I plug it in. Never had a problem. I keep it set on 1 amp.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison