Thread: ???? Electrical Wiring/cable sheathing and Cold......????

Default ???? Electrical Wiring/cable sheathing and Cold......????

Well, I now have everything to lay the 4/0 4/0 2/0 wire/cable, however I am wondering about the sheathing cracking when it is un-rolled at sub-freezing temperatures. Will it crack.....or chip......????

Best to use 'Arctic Grade' type wiring. The normal stuff can crack. Wesco in Anchorage carries it. If you already purchased the wire, have your ditch ready, and cable warm inside. Then run outside with the warm wire and put it inside conduit, and you'll be fine. I guess I'm only assuming your putting it under ground.

To specifically answer your question, don't unroll the wire until it's warm. There are some real electricians in here that know a lot more than I do.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I have the wire, and it is too late to bury it now, so it needs to go into flex and lay on the ground till next summer. It is 265 feet of wire and about 200 pounds, there is no way to heat it.

Bump Bump.......?????

We've unrolled it in our yard in temps as low as 0 F without any issue.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I am previously a general contractor and electrician (had to quit due to local cost and regs on insur. changing). the "artic" grade wiring is a HUGE overkill. It is designed for long straight runs in exposed areas where it will need to be moved alot, like to portable generating plants(semi-truck type generators). The only benefit it gives is for commercial things that need thousands of feet to not shrink in very cold temps or where it will be moved alot at low temps. The cracking sound you hear when rolling/unrolling wire at low temps is in most cases the sheathing unfreezing from the inner wire, not it cracking apart. I have personally laid wire in Maine for a logging operation at -20 without any problems, (note: i said lay, not pull) something to remember is at low temps the wire is real tough to pull, the best way to install it is to roll it out where you want it and slide the conduit over it, don't try to pull it through, it will kink and will cause a rub spot that can wear through, that is the real problem, not insul cracking.

Why unroll it now? Seems easier to just put it on a dry pallet under a tent or cover for the winter, instead of pulling it into conduit now.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    , and cable warm inside. Then run outside with the warm wire and put it inside conduit,
    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    , there is no way to heat it.
    Two easy ways to heat it if you want to pull it:
    Roll it into your cabin for a day or two to warm up, then crank up the stove for a while and pull it warm right out the door into the conduit.
    Or if your cabin can't accommodate the roll, then set up a wall tent over the roll, heat it up with the tent's stove, and unroll from the tent.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    Why unroll it now? Seems easier to just put it on a dry pallet under a tent or cover for the winter, instead of pulling it into conduit now.

Two easy ways to heat it if you want to pull it:
    Roll it into your cabin for a day or two to warm up, then crank up the stove for a while and pull it warm right out the door into the conduit.
    Or if your cabin can't accommodate the roll, then set up a wall tent over the roll, heat it up with the tent's stove, and unroll from the tent.

You do understand the wire is 1 1/2" in diameter, and the 265 feet weighs 200 pounds, and the cabin is 11' wide by 23' long and full of stuff.

You do understand the wire is 1 1/2" in diameter, and the 265 feet weighs 200 pounds, and the cabin is 11' wide by 23' long and full of stuff.
    Yes, of course. I liked denalihunter's answer. I once did something similar with a big spool of smaller gauge wire. But that weight and small space are exactly why I mentioned the wall tent idea to heat it outside. To my mind, the main question is what benefit you get from pulling it now, instead of sheltering it for the winter and pulling it next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post

To my mind, the main question is what benefit you get from pulling it now, instead of sheltering it for the winter and pulling it next summer.

One way I get to have electric to finish the new cabin, and hopefully move into it in 3 weeks. The wait till next June option means living in a cold poorly heated cabin with no floor insulation.

One way I get to have electric to finish the new cabin, and hopefully move into it in 3 weeks. The wait till next June option means living in a cold poorly heated cabin with no floor insulation.
    Sorry if I somehow missed that relevant point along the way. Sounds like a case for warming it up any way you can and pulling it now. But realize you just said yesterday, "... and it is too late to bury it now, so it needs to go into flex and lay on the ground till next summer", so there was no way to know that you planned to run power through it this winter. Good luck and stay warm!

OK, I got the answer I was looking for from Stan at North Coast Electrical Supply. He called the manufacturer and they said, I is good to flex with no damage to the sheath down to -35*F

Thanks, good to know. One of my yard guys said he rolled some out at -20F last year.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem