Thread: have you hunted here?

Default have you hunted here?

just a shot in the dark, but has anyone gone on the DM802 or DM808 moose hunt if so what info do you have to share thanks for the help guys

Hunt the islands.

Why would a guy in Nome put in for those permits? Huntin ain't any better than up the Kuzitrin/Koug!

Your going to need a boat, or pay to get dropped in the area from a Fbks transporter. If I was gonna be there I would have invited you along. You could try to get someone in Ruby to take you out the road and drop you off, but you could only hunt the east side of the road, legally.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

We tried to hunt the DM802 tag from the Yukon two years ago. So not worth it, especially as a resident. The tag was for my out of state Brother. There is a reason it is a nearly 100% draw. There are very few places along the river from Tannana to the Nowitna that is not native land and those places that are are not really all that accessible. We talked about it later and it would have to be a supreme effort to get someplace that was hunt able. Maybe if you had a very small boat you could get up some of those small rivers. We talked about a square back canoe or jet ranger. I am not even sure there are that many lakes to get dropped off at by float plane.

Sorry to hear of your trip, Daved. Actually, the whole south side of the Yukon from just above the Boneyards (pailisades) to Ruby, is Nowitna Wildlife Refuge. Huntable for any legal hunter. All the islands are also refuge.
    The north banks isn't that great for moose, but some are there.
    There are several sloughs off the south side of the river bank. Some are hard to get into if the water is low. But I have been in most of them, sometimes with larger boats. Both Bering slough and the Klatsuta are wide enough to get into, with Bering being the larger. Those are both on Refuge land. Mason slough and the islands there are large enough to hold moose.
    Hunt the latter part of the season when calling is more effective. The moose are there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

We actually hunted DM802 last year and took a 63" bull. We hunted Kathleen Is. and the Bering Slough first. We were able to get several miles up Bering Creek with a 24' boat. Slow going but 2-4feet deep. We saw another party take a nice bull on Youngs Is. We also came across a gut pile on a trail behind Weir Is on the South side of the river. Mason Slough is another good spot. We started our hunt on the 15th and killed our moose on the 23rd. Didn't see a lot of moose but obviously they are around. We will be hunting DM808 this year....even more restricted with Doyon land.

That is very good info, thanks, We stopped trying around mason slough and headed to the Nowitna on our hunt and I shot a nice bull there. We are going back to the Nowitna this year but will likely check out the south side of the River again on our way down.