Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honda EU2000i won't start! Need Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Will try the carb drain and refuel tonight. What kind of plug are you running in your unit? Thanks!
    I replaced the plug with an exact equal. My plug had a light residue on it. It looked almost like rust. Cleanng helped but replacing it solved the problem completely. I don't know about you other guys but my small generators eat spark plugs faster than any other engines I've ever had. These engines seem very sensitive to unhealthy plugs, anyway. Not just the Honda, but small Yamahas, too.

Your comment about bubbles in the fuel line is interesting. When I drained my bowl I did not find water but it seemed to purge the system and allow fuel to flow properly. Perhaps bubbles were what I had. I didn't pay that much attention.

Mr Pid:
    Sorry if you felt my comment was mend toward you it was not my intent.

I was not thinking about you’re post when I made my comment. In fact I consider your posts to be very helpful, on all subjects. Your information/comments make this forum enjoyable to read. I wish several others would take you’re lead.

As a last resort I hold on to the sparkplug wire or pull the plug and see if I can get a spark in a dark room.

Too much coffee! It's all good. Sorry if i seemed rude. Not my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    As a last resort I hold on to the sparkplug wire...
    Ouch! This takes me back to the day when the old man introduced me to "an old Shawnee trick!" Nothing like a good lesson learned through good punishment! Learned something about engines and life out of that one...notice I said ONE...that's all it takes when dealing with good discipline!

As a last resort I hold on to the sparkplug wire or pull the plug and see if I can get a spark in a dark room.[/QUOTE]

That is what kids are for.............

it dont hurt that bad. come on
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I replaced the plug with an exact equal. My plug had a light residue on it. It looked almost like rust. Cleanng helped but replacing it solved the problem completely. I don't know about you other guys but my small generators eat spark plugs faster than any other engines I've ever had. These engines seem very sensitive to unhealthy plugs, anyway. Not just the Honda, but small Yamahas, too.

Your comment about bubbles in the fuel line is interesting. When I drained my bowl I did not find water but it seemed to purge the system and allow fuel to flow properly. Perhaps bubbles were what I had. I didn't pay that much attention.
    It's not only the new generation of small gen-sets, but the new generation of small (2.5HP) 4 stroke outboards are extremely sensitive to the slightest amount of carbon (or anything foreign) on the plugs... I struggled with one for 2 seasons... it would start 1st or 2nd pull, put it in gear and go 20 to 30 yards and die... Naturally you think it's water in the gas... drained the tank and carb, new gas, same problem... Finally took it to a great Marine Mech... He told me the newer outboards were tempermental about the spark plugs.. I didn't mind paying for that hours work, because it was very inconvenient when that outboard would only go 20 to 30 yards on a start...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    it dont hurt that bad. come on
    It doesn't hurt that badly...of course it wouldn't if there is no current going there Besides, I was probably five years old at the time and it probably wasn't some Japanese made junk either!

It doesn't hurt that badly...of course it wouldn't if there is no current going there Besides, I was probably five years old at the time and it probably wasn't some Japanese made junk either!
    my hondas always run, i dont see what you got against them. besides i like sushi.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    It's not only the new generation of small gen-sets, but the new generation of small (2.5HP) 4 stroke outboards are extremely sensitive to the slightest amount of carbon (or anything foreign) on the plugs... I struggled with one for 2 seasons... it would start 1st or 2nd pull, put it in gear and go 20 to 30 yards and die... Naturally you think it's water in the gas... drained the tank and carb, new gas, same problem... Finally took it to a great Marine Mech... He told me the newer outboards were tempermental about the spark plugs.. I didn't mind paying for that hours work, because it was very inconvenient when that outboard would only go 20 to 30 yards on a start...!!!
    Did your mechanic recommend a certain plug to sort of negate the problem? Thinking about it now, I don't think I have ever replaced the plug in either of my other units...

Thumbs up Basics

When troubleshooting I always attempt to perform the basics first. Fuel/Spark/Compression

I would dump the fuel if I thought there was the slightest possibility of contamination.
    I would remove/eliminate the spark plug, put a screwdriver in the lead and pull it through, even if it meant having to hold on to the screwdriver to check for spark...On the little Honda's it can be difficult to get a good ground to watch for spark and feel might be the best way!
    I would stick my finger in the spark plug hole and pull the engine through a couple of times...if there is enough compression to blow your finger out of the hole, there is enough to make it run....no gage needed, but desirable if you have one.

After confirming I had Fuel/Spark/Compression, I would then:
    Add SeaFoam to the fuel, in accordance with the instructions on the can.
    Put in a New Denso Irridium Fine Wire Spark Plug, selection based off of the Denso Cross-Reference Data Sheet.
    I would top off the engine oil...on the Honda 2K, right to the top of the threads of the filler plug....to the point is is ready to drip out.

Things to check out, if you find you have no spark would include:
    Primary/Secondary Coils
    Magneto permanent magnet's strength
    Spark Plug Lead and Lug
    Low Oil Level Shut-down sensor (bypass to check)
    On/Off Ignition Switch...kinda tricky on that model but not difficult after you get to where you can access it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Did your mechanic recommend a certain plug to sort of negate the problem? Thinking about it now, I don't think I have ever replaced the plug in either of my other units...
    No, we replaced the "fouled" plug with the same as the original...

I have had my two EU 2000's for three years now. Ran each maybe 500 hours. One runs great and one is sitting at the Honda place in ANC right now. They say the crankshaft bearing spun in crankcase (came unseated) and now the camshaft is worn. They are refusing to cover it under warranty. They say it was caused by "user error" b/c I had run the machine with either "too little oil in it or too much oil in it". This is after they implied I overheated the machine by running it in "an enclosure." Now they are selling kits of some kind so the units run properly in colder weather, but they didn't sell them when I bought it originally.

As for the too little oil or too much oil thing. I pointed out to them that if it had too little oil in it the oil alert would shut it off but they said that wasn't a one hundred percent fail proof feature. I balked at that, but they didn't care. I also pointed out that if there was too much oil in it, it would come out the vent in the crankcase. Beside the fact that "too much oil" would not cause the damage they described. They didn't care about any of that either. All I am saying is don't expect to get much out of a warranty nowadays. Ah well, at least I got one decent running EU2000, guess that is all I need.

Anyone in the market for a Honda EU2000 with a bad crankshaft bearing and wornout camshaft send me a PM.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

And I'd buy you a second beer for that earlier reply. Would a Sapporo be inappropiate? Your response was pretty much what a lot of americans think, we'd buy it here if it were made here and was as good as imported. But the cream on the pudding was telling him to get off his butt and do something positive. I loved it.
    Ok, you get to choose the beer,
    ARR

BucknRut,

If for some reason, you can't get it up and running and need something cheap, I'm purchasing a couple powerhorse generators for my property. The reason I'm doing this is because the engines are made by LCT out of South Caronlina. Basically, to make a long story short, for years, Honda OHV engines were made in a high end factory in China. Eventually, Honda's patents ran out and somehow, Liquid Combustion Technologies took the factory, and made some design changes to the basic Honda OHV design. LCT got a letter from Honda that everything that they are doing is OK (not a honda clone). The motors run forged cranks, and industrial bearings. These were the simple Hondas made better. It isn't a honda clone, but an improved OHV honda with even stronger parts than what Honda had used. The United States based LCT engineers did a very good job.

Husqvarna and other manufacturers are now re-tooling with LCT engines. I have well over 100 hours on the LCT 414 cc engine on my copperhead surface drive and it's flawless. I had to pull my surface drive out of storage to show a potential customer who wants a freighter canoe. It started on the first pull even when the engine was fogged. I'm about to go make a video of it starting first pull with all that snow on it.

For a measely $300, it's a nice little generator and I have family members back home who use them during power outages, or to run tools. You don't need some fancy "siene wave" generator. This one has very little distortion, and I would not hesitate to use it with a computer, or to power a battery bank. I don't care about fancy diesel generators either, and the supposed "life span". If you ever blew the motor on this thing, save it for parts and buy another motor, as it's only $180 for a replacement.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200419022_200419022

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...rhorse-engines

matnaggewinu

Quote Originally Posted by billhicksmostfunny View Post
    I have had my two EU 2000's for three years now. Ran each maybe 500 hours. One runs great and one is sitting at the Honda place in ANC right now. They say the crankshaft bearing spun in crankcase (came unseated) and now the camshaft is worn. They are refusing to cover it under warranty. They say it was caused by "user error" b/c I had run the machine with either "too little oil in it or too much oil in it". This is after they implied I overheated the machine by running it in "an enclosure." Now they are selling kits of some kind so the units run properly in colder weather, but they didn't sell them when I bought it originally.

As for the too little oil or too much oil thing. I pointed out to them that if it had too little oil in it the oil alert would shut it off but they said that wasn't a one hundred percent fail proof feature. I balked at that, but they didn't care. I also pointed out that if there was too much oil in it, it would come out the vent in the crankcase. Beside the fact that "too much oil" would not cause the damage they described. They didn't care about any of that either. All I am saying is don't expect to get much out of a warranty nowadays. Ah well, at least I got one decent running EU2000, guess that is all I need.

Anyone in the market for a Honda EU2000 with a bad crankshaft bearing and wornout camshaft send me a PM.
    PM Sent.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12